Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bios Urns
I came across Bios Urns as a way to bury a deceased pet.
The pets ashes are placed in the biodegradable container and a tree is planted with it. The tree serves as a memorial to the pet and the whole thing returns the pets remains to nature.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I understand that the original idea was used for human ashes. Using the urns for pets came later.

Actually I like the idea as a burial method. I want a Birch tree planted with me.
For my pets I bury them and plant shrubs and trees over them. It works because I have small pets.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What a lovely idea. I have heard from quite a few people whose animals have passed, and sometimes they are unsure what to do with the ashes....don't know what tree to plant....etc. I think the idea of it coming in a 'package' will help a lot of people at a difficult decision-making time.

When I 'planted' Misty's body AngelHeart I had no idea what to put on her grave. I first put a pink rose in a bottle. The next day I planted a weeny little nasturtium which was about 6" high. Later I put in a Fuchsia, and various additions over the 3 years.
The first year that Nasturtium grew like I have never seen anything grow! From one seed, that plant grew to 3ft girth, and at least 10ft high! I had to keep going to the garden centre for bamboo sticks for it to cling to! The last bamboo stick I bought would not fit in my car, and I had to lash the back boot door with rope to get the darned stick home! Smiley4

It put out hundreds of flowers -red, yellow and orange, and became a 'Bee Centre". It also attracted butterflies and Dragonflies. It became a wonderful tribute to Misty.

It died when the frost came, but many seeds were collected, and now I have the great-great-grand-seeds of that original plant.
What a beautiful way of honouring Misty. I have never heard of a fuchsia that big. I have only seen them in little pots.
The yellow/orange/red Bee centre sounds beautiful. I love it when nature creates a cycle of life. When plants are self seeding like that it is amazing the number of generations that you can keep them going.

I have beautiful Forget-me-nots. I can no longer remember who gave me the seeds. They grow all over the garden and I have hamsters buried all over the garden.

I would never have a problem choosing a tree. I love them all so I pick the one that can grow where I want to plant it. A kit would make it easier for people. Not everyone can grow things the way you and I do.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine