Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baby sea lion found on the road
A couple in California found a baby sea lion a fair ways inland working his way along the road. Their quick actions protected him so that he could be safely rescued.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me...story.html

After reading the article I realize that they are having a problem with baby sea lions this year. For some reason they are not with their mothers and they need to be rescued and cared for until they are old enough to manage alone.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/12/...rom-beach/
So our little lost sea lion is one of many. He was in serious condition though at 30 pounds instead of the 80 pounds he should be. I am sure he will gain weight and thrive now that he is being fed regularly.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well, thank goodness these people weren't taken to court, and/or jailed, for stopping their car to help a creature in need on the highway!

There are so many of them motherless. I wonder what is happening to them.
Quote:Well, thank goodness these people weren't taken to court, and/or jailed, for stopping their car to help a creature in need on the highway!
I thought about that. It looks like Quebec is the only place that jails people for doing the right thing.

Everyone is happy that the couple stopped and helped the little sea lion. He is so thin compared to the others. He must have been very hungry to go inland like that.

The loss(possibly) or at least separation of babies and mothers is worrying. Some babies are separated every year for various reasons. This is just a large increase in babies on their own. Something must be causing it. I hope all these females are not dying. That would be serious for the overall sea lion population. It would also mean there is a serious problem happening. I hope they can find out what the problem is and do something.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine