Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more hamsters? Yeah right x
Yes, I know that I originally said no more hamsters but I obviously didn't mean it because we have now 2 pairs of females, dwarf hamsters. The first two I got are just 7 weeks old and the man came and delivered them to me last week. My daughter has yet to name them.
[Image: 2015-02-11114036_zpsbabe7286.jpg]

We are expecting a couple of male hamsters tomorrow morning, they are 8 weeks old and my son will be naming them as they will be 'his'. In the meantime I saw a couple of female dwarf hamsters, 6 months old, looking for a new home and lets just say I just went out and collected them. I have named them Willow and Wisp. I took a photo of Wisp as Willow wouldn't come out and pose for me. She is the smaller of the two and all white. Willow is a bit bigger and has a slight fawn shading on her body. They both have pink eyes.
[Image: 2015-02-12194255_zps3ae403a9.jpg]
[Image: 2015-02-12194412_zps4cb963f5.jpg]
You meant no more Syrian Hamsters. That obviously doesn't apply to dwarf hamsters. They are very different from the big guys.

Dwarfies are cute little guys. I think they are friendlier and more curious and mine used to make me laugh. They love their hamster wheels and can actually wear right through them with their little claws. You needed some dwarfies for comic relief.

You have a nice mix of colours so far. What will the boys look like?
Willow and Wisp are fine dwarfie names. Wisp looks like a true albino. Her eyes are pink? The white ones are so perfect a white. I always loved them. Willow is faun coloured? That should be pretty.

I look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more names.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Welcome to hungrypigs' family, new Hamsters!
Aren't they lovely?
I am sure they will be a teeny tiny ton of fun for you.
Catherine

(02-15-2015, 07:18 PM)Catherine Wrote: I am sure they will be a teeny tiny ton of fun for you.

They are absolutely amazing and I love watching them run about and play. The boys, Bobby and James, have now moved into their new tank. They have so much room to run about and explore. Before I think they were getting on top of one another and seemed to be 'play' flighting although not sure it was playing.

I am waiting for a new tank to arrive to put Cookie and Crumble in. At the moment they are living in that hamster cage that housed Angel the guinea pig in before I rescued her. The original tank did arrive but when I opened it it was all smashed up so had to reorder another one, so just waiting for that one to arrive.

Willow and Wisp will be staying in their small tank for the time being, mainly because I don't have any space to have another bigger tank but they seem happy anyway. I put a wheel in for them as they didn't have one when I collected them. Willow really loves the wheel and she is constantly on it, she even kicked Wisp off it the other morning so she could have her go on it.
Smiley4
This is Bobby & Jame's new home
[Image: 2015-02-21141932_zpse1a4b691.jpg]
That looks like a great new home. So many different places to go and things to do in there. Lucky Bobbie and Jame!
That is lots of room for the boys. It is a good set up. Dwarf hamsters seem to do well in tanks.

They love their wheels. I had hamsters actually wear out the wheels by constant running. As long as they have a wheel you can keep them in a smaller set up. Their main exercise is the running.

Dwarfies are fun the watch. They are comical and perky and just fun to have around. I knew you would like them.Heart
Catherine

Sadly I have to inform you that Bobby died. I found him in the corner this morning when I came down covered in blood. He was barely alive when I lifted him out and he died shortly afterwards. I didn't realise that the 'play' flighting was real and if I had known I would have taken Bobby out.
I am so sorry to hear that Bobby died. Male hamsters can be territorial, but I thought they were still young so it shouldn't have been a problem. Males raised together usually do okay.

Is the other male okay?

This is the dark side of our lovable little dwarfs. They can get territorial and kill each other.
Catherine