Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs who don't want to bath!
We all need a good laugh sometimes.
When dogs don't want a bath, they really don't want a bath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4LnorVV...detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8CbXfK...detailpage

Dogs are always a source of entertainment.

Cats like bathing even less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQZtk-fC...detailpage

Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Some of those are really cute. The ones with the growling and aggressive dogs not so much but I really like the one of the poodle where he's just standing over the yellow tub like nope I'm not budging.
Some of those dogs are determined to stay dry. The poodle is funny.

I wondered if some of the dogs were being a bit aggressive. Is that good behavior or would you want to correct it?
Catherine

(02-26-2015, 02:47 PM)Catherine Wrote: Some of those dogs are determined to stay dry. The poodle is funny.

I wondered if some of the dogs were being a bit aggressive. Is that good behavior or would you want to correct it?

Some were being highly aggressive. I would definitely correct those. There was a yorkie that was already biting and the owner was pulling back acting scared. Which was fueling the aggression even more because the dog was getting the reaction he wanted. That dog owns that house. The big dogs that are growling and ridged are a big problem too they could turn around and bite. That's stuff I want to help people change. Some think its funny but it's really not. My dogs hate the bath too. But I've worked with them not to do those things. Anytime they show any signs of aggression I shut it down right then and there. I expect them to know better and I don't give them any leeway when it comes to aggression. Not after what I had to go through the first couple of years when we took in Mia.

I'll have to get someone to record me trying to get Buddy in the bath. He is hilarious. He doesn't want to go so he has this pitiful look on his face and will just sit down hoping that will stop me. Molly too cause she's so hard to get in the tub. She does the holding on to the walls thing. She's a 75 lbs german shepard mix with long legs and almost as big as me so it's really funny.
You really do have to film your dogs being bathed. I am sure we will all have a good laugh when we see it.

My instinct was right about some of the dogs then. I would not want to let a pet get away with showing aggression towards me. It seems like the dynamic of the relationship is off. The dog should look to the human as being in charge. Certainly backing away in fear of the dog sends a bad message.

I think there is going to be a lot of need for your help with dogs.
Catherine

I agree totally, Libby.
It's sort of funny to see those growly dogs, but it really isn't funny at all. They aren't laughing. They are giving warnings. One day or next second -they could stop giving warnings and just act instead.
And I also agree that the humans aren't responding as they should do.

These kinds of things are what you work with I guess. It must be a good feeling to see results and know you have helped a dog and a person.

But some dogs really really do HATE baths! Sometimes it is very funny.

Misty....was very good and just endured, but it was always easier outside on the lawn, using warm water and rinsing her with a watering-can! Stopping her shaking at least 3 times during the procedure was impossible, so often I did that wearing an old bra and a pair of denim cut offs! I always ended up wet from head to foot! lol
But guess who got dried off first? You got it. Not me! haha
I am picturing you and Misty and seeing her as clean and you as a big soapy mess. Smiley4

I think some of the dogs don't like to be put into water. I stopped doing that with the guinea pigs. I hold them under water to get them wet. I suds them up and then I hold them under the water to get them rinsed. It takes less time than a tub of water and is less scary for them.

Outside would be better. I don't think the dogs like the bathtub at all.
Catherine

I think its the enclosed space. They also dont like being forced into water. All 3 of mine hate baths but love to play in a creek or the lake. We have to watch Molly cause she will just lay down in it without warning. Thats ok if its just a walk around the neighborhood the problem is when we drive them to the park and they have to get back in the car soaking wet.
Maybe people need to rethink how they bath their dogs. My local Pet Value store(they sell pet food and supplies, not pets) has put in a self serve dog wash. You pay to use the facility and all the soap and towels are provided. It is an open, spacious area. There is a dog wash station, but it is not like a bath tub. Dogs can walk up ramps into wash areas and there are big grooming tables. It seems very pet friendly.

That must be fun trying to get a wet Molly home without soaking your car.
Catherine

Oh yeah we've done it a few times before we think to not let her near the water or think to bring towels. That actually is a pretty neat idea. just have people pay a base fee I would so use it for my dogs. We don't have anything like that.