Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vet Clinic refuses to declaw cats
A vet clinic in Regina, Saskatchewan is refusing to declaw cats.
The cite concerns about the long term consequences for cats.

It seems a number of vets are refusing to do the operation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchew...-1.2968978

I am interested in the claw caps they have come up with. Has anyone else ever heard of them?

I know clawing furniture can be a problem, but declawing is a cruel solution. I have witnessed the operation in person and it is horrible. The cat I saw screamed when it came out of the anesthetic. They may have refined the operation in the last 40 years, but I doubt it is any nicer.
It should have been banned 20 years ago or more.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am very glad to hear this news.

In my opinion, anyone who wants a cat as a family member should be prepared to take the things which go with "cat". Or else adopt another animal instead. And once they do decide to have a cat, its welfare should be more important than furniture!

De-clawing a cat is like a human having all their fingers and toes amputated at the first joint just because their fingernails and toenails could scratch something.

And how are they expected to climb trees etc without claws? The little cat I look after likes nothing more than skitting about in the garden, then dashing up a tree, just for the sheer fun of it, or to show off.

It has been proven that cats who are de-clawed do often develop problems later. And of course that makes sense as they can no longer walk properly, and are inclined instead onto the backs of their feet (which would be equivalent to a human trying to walk on their palms, wrists and heels!) That obviously does stress their joints, and their whole body.
Spot on, Tobi!
It is the worst surgery I have ever seen, so cruel and so unnecessary.
People could just cut their cats claws. It is not that hard to do.

Once vets start to turn against it the practice will stop. They will put pressure on the vets who still do it. People will have no other choice than to find other solutions.

I wonder if the claw caps are a good idea.
I know you could choose furniture that cats would not scratch. There are lots of good scratching posts and other ways to meet cats needs.
There has never been a good reason to mutilate the feet of you pet.
Catherine

In the early 1980s we had a cat. His name was Dushka. He was an absolutely brilliant, stunning cat. Mixed breed shorthaired. Very big and sleek with a long nose, and an amazing temperament. Gentle, loving, intelligent, tough, loyal.....Not one photograph of him sadly.... He was killed in a road traffic accident in 1984, aged only 5 and in the peak of strength and health.

I do not recall him ever scratching at furniture. At the time we lived (or mostly I lived -as my husband was a tour guide abroad) -in the Welsh mountains. Dushka spent a natural life outside, but obviously came inside whenever he wanted to, to sleep, eat and cuddle etc.
As for 18 months we rented someone else's house, it would have been hard if he had destroyed furniture, but he didn't. I never recall any problems. He had access to SO MANY trees in the Oak copse near our house. I think he was done scratching, when he came in!
People could find ways to give cats something to scratch. Not all cats scratch the furniture. It would take a little effort to meet a cats needs, but not that much.

I think declawing is part of wanting to be in control. Instead of helping your cat to find the right place to scratch, you remove the claws so the cat has nothing to scratch with. It is an extreme solution to what should be a small issue.

Clipping claws is not that hard.

It sounds like Dushka had the ideal life. All your pets have had ideal lives. They have the love of a good home and the freedom to be themselves.Heart
Catherine

I honestly don't think it has to be a big problem.
Little Sally has favourite places where she likes to scatch, and makes a bee-line for those particular things.
There's an old slatted hardwood door-mat...a long pine log standing by a water barrel...the thick planks which contain the vegetable garden patches...and an apple tree. Now I have never seen her scratch anywhere else.
So as far as I can make out, she views only those places as her 'scratching places'. And does that of her own accord. No-one encouraged her to.
It might be because she has got used to them, and it's now habit for her.
It seems to show that it really doesn't have to be a problem, once a cat is used to scratching in a certain place.

This is Sally....

Sally is pretty and she looks very healthy. She is smart isn't she. She has set places that she scratches and she sticks to those places.

I would think that you could train a kitten to scratch in certain places, the same way you teach it where the litter pan is. If you were consistent in your teaching I am sure the cat would learn and would stick to set spots. Of course the set spots would have to be things a cat would want to scratch, not things we think a cat would want to scratch.

It would also, help to buy pet friendly furniture. I don't think that is too much to ask.
Catherine