Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ontario bans breeding/aquisition of killer whales
It is good to come across a piece of good news. The Province of Ontario(where I live) is passing legislation that bans the breeding or acquisition of Orcas. The legislation also sets better standards for the care of captive marine mammals.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2...hales.html

It may take a while to end captive marine animal shows, but this is a big step in that direction. There will be some good fines for non compliance and failure to meet standards. It is a recognition that such shows are not acceptable and that we cannot house things like killer whales in small pools.

Some day the only marine mammals not swimming free will be rescues that we are trying to rehabilitate in hopes of returning them to the wild.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is a big step forward. Let's hope that other areas will follow.
Any marine mammal that relies on echo location or "sonar" is very badly affected by captivity. The confines of a tank must make the whole process overwhelming.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
It is an acknowledgement that it is not possible to keep marine mammals in captivity and properly meet their needs. Having Ontario put in a marine mammal protection law is a beginning. We do have a big Marineland and it is a real tourist destination. There have been a lot of problems and this is a response to that. I hope with the tougher regulations they will start to phase out the performing animal shows.

If Ontario can do it, what about the other places that have whales and dolphins in captivity.

I would think sonar in a small tank would echo back and be so confusing and overwhelming. I don't think Orcas and Dolphins can stop using their Sonar. That is how they do things. They are also very intelligent. No matter how you look at it, a small tank for a big marine mammal is cruel. I look forward to the day when we look back and wonder why we ever did it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine