Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calgary vet students help poorer pet owners
I seems that the Veterinary students at the University of Calgary are providing veterinary care for the pets of people who can't afford it.
Since this is the university that I graduated from I must say I am very proud of them.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news...calgarians

Having a pet and maintaining its health shouldn't only be a privilege of the wealthy. Even people with limited money want to have pets and provide for them. This is a beautiful thing.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is a very good idea and a very thoughtful thing to do. Just to have an (otherwise healthy) animal examined, its shots given or worm treatment etc can run up quite a bill at once.

In the UK we have the RSPCA or PDSA for cases in which the animal caretaker is on very low income or benefits. They run clinics in many major cities and other towns. They are very good and give an excellent standard of care generally, but eligibility is very similar to pet insurance stipulations. So not all treatments of consultations would be eligible for help. That is the only drawback.
I am glad England has something to help needy pet owners. Vet bills are very high. I know that vets are professionals and have pretty much the same training as a human doctor. However even a small easily treated problem will still cost hundreds of dollars.

I would think it is only the basic care that is provided by any free/subsidized clinic, but that is enough. Most pets are healthy and just need basic vaccinations and check ups. Fancier treatments would need a fund raiser.

I wonder how they determine who gets the help.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine