Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broadcaster kills rabbit on the air.
I found this story to be bizarre and disturbing.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2...-air-video

Maybe he was trying to make a point about animals being slaughtered.
That still doesn't justify his actions towards a young vulnerable rabbit.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is disturbing, and a very twisted "animal welfare" radio show. I can't honestly think of any more words....except how horrible.
The more I think about it the weirder it seems. The guy is sick.
Why was the show broadcast. At some point it should have been shut down. Why isn't the station apologizing, firing the guy and working to fix things.

The rabbit killer talked about taking the rabbit home to feed to his children. Why isn't his behavior as a parent being scrutinized.
Catherine

There is truth in the argument "Why is it OK to eat a pig but not a rabbit?", but there is no need for sick stunts like this.
The whole point of what he did was apprently to illuminate the hypocrisy surrounding meat-eating. That many people think it is okay to go into a store and buy a square packaged block of meat called "pork" or "beef" etc, and in those cases there is no admittance of personal reponsibility for the animals bad life and just as bad death.
His intent was to highlight that.

Whereas, he said, the rabbit had led a good and happy life. And was despatched quickly.
He said he had asked advice about how to 'humanely kill it' and was told that the best way was with an iron rod. Apparently he couldn't find an iron rod in the studio, and instead used a bicycle pump.
It doesn't sound as if he even cared very deeply. It was similar to saying "I don't have a bread knife to cut the loaf. What shall I use instead? I know. I'll use a butter knife."
I personally think he didn't achieve what he set out to do.

I hope people will boycott that radio show. And the DJ will have to put up with the consequences. No doubt when that happens, it will be everyone else's fault, and he has been treated unfairly for being such an enlightened person.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...e-air.html

In my opinion, one does not do a cruel act as a protest about other cruel acts!
The second link has some extra details (thanks, Tobi) - for example that he hit the poor rabbit three times with the bicycle pump. So the kill was not instantaneous and the rabbit did suffer. You put it very clearly when you say, "In my opinion, one does not do a cruel act as a protest about other cruel acts!"
Quote: In my opinion, one does not do a cruel act as a protest about other cruel acts!
This says it all. There are other ways he could have protested.

He said the rabbit had a good life, but it was only 9 weeks old. He killed a baby.
The zoo told him how to do it. Isn't that the zoo that killed a giraffe and fed it to their lions and then later killed the lions.
He was instructed on killing humanely, but he didn't bother to follow instructions. Death was not instantaneous if he had to hit it more than once.
I hope people boycott his show and his station.

I wonder if his children knew what they were eating?
Catherine

There is a petition started on ForceChange.com

http://forcechange.com/143275/justice-fo...-296539949

I didn't want to put this in the petition section Catherine because I didn't want to push the bee petition back.
This is the best place for the petition since we are already discussing the issue.

I would question the broadcaster's judgement after an action like that.
It was stupid and it was cruel.
I hope lots of people sign the petition and create a real media stir. There is no way we can let man get away without consequences. Who knows what the next person might do.

I wonder where the rabbit came from. If I had sold him the rabbit as a pet I would be very angry right now.
Catherine

Signed. Let's hope that the channel listens, if enough people sign.