Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescuing a baby bird
Heart 
I had an interesting experience rescuing a baby bird.

I was almost home when I came across some local Robins, all upset and flying around crying. Sure enough there was a baby Robin on the sidewalk under a tree. The little one was too young to be out of the nest. There were a number of Robin couples flying around trying to protect the bay while they figured out what to do.

I walked up and picked the little bird up, but I couldn't reach the nest. It was just too far up the tree. I figured I could climb the tree, but not with a baby bird in my hand. So I put him in a cloth bag, held the bag in my teeth, climbed the tree. I was able to put him right back in the nest.
Then I climbed down and backed away so the Robins could come down to check on the baby.

It was then that I realised that the Robins calmed down once I picked the baby up. They stopped flying around and they went silent. They all just watched me. They knew I would help.

When I thought about it I realized that these are the Robins that come to my back yard and eat my berries and watch me gardening.
These are my Robins. Generations of them have been coming to my yard and they know me. When the baby flies he will join the flock and I may not know which Robin he is, but he will be there.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh wow! I was so happy to read this story Catherine. The Robins will see you as a part of their 'family' now. You protect and help them as well as giving them occasional treats!
It was a happy ending. Good for you for climbing the tree!
Thank-you. I love my Robins. They are the big North American Robins which are a kind of Thrush. They eat the berries on my trees and shrubs. I think of it as a bird festival. There are always many Robins and other birds. This year they will be my special Robins.

I am glad I was able to climb the tree. It wasn't to high up and it wasn't an evergreen.
Catherine

I have never seen large Robins. Ours in the UK are quite small, a little smaller than a Sparrow. But intelligent, and friendly when you get to know them.

I am going to have to find a picture of the Canadian Robins.

I am so glad that worked out well for the youngster and the parents.
Robins are beautiful.
[Image: american_robin_6.jpg]
I guess their colour vaguely reminded someone of your British Robins.
They are nothing like them.
This is a typical Robin gathering. They love bird baths and put a lot into getting wet and clean.
[Image: winter_drink_robin_green_640.jpg]
This is a typical scene of them feeding.
[Image: robins-in-holly-peg-urban.jpg]
This is what the baby looked like.
[Image: American-robin-chick-begging-in-nest.jpg]

Another week and the baby will be ready to leave the nest. In fact most of the baby birds will be out and hiding in the bushes with their parents feeding them. It is a dangerous time for little birds, but they are starting to fly so they are okay. This little guy was a bit small.

I love the Robins. They are the first birds to sing in the morning and the last to sing at night.
They leave in the fall when it gets cold. When they come back we know spring is near. It is a special thing to see the first Robin of spring. Even non bird people are glad to see the first Robin of Spring.
Catherine

Thank you so much for posting those amazing pictures. Yes the Canadian Robin is very different.
This is what British ones look like:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7288243
Your little Robin is cute. It has such pretty markings. Do they sing beautifully.

They are so different. Our Robins should be renamed. They are a beautiful bird, but not really cute. I find them interesting and comical.

I think where ever people go they want to keep the same names for things. If something even faintly resembles something from home you give it a familiar name. It does make things confusing.
Catherine

Our Robins have the most beautiful song. They can become semi-tame, and are known as "The gardener's friend". Years ago I gt friendly with a Robin, eventually his mate, and their young ones. I observed that their intelligence and responsiveness equals a dog's or cat's.
Maybe my Robins and your Robins fill the same niche. I always have Robins around when I garden. They like to eat the bugs I dig up. Robins sing cheerfully, with great heart and enthusiasm. It is not pretty music, but it is cheerful and I like it.

A lot of birds become tame and are quite intelligent. Certainly my robins recognize me from my gardening. Where would we be without our birds. Life is more cheerful because of them.
Catherine

I figured I would give you an update.
A few little while after I put the baby back in the nest, it was time for them to come out and learn to fly.

I am not sure it is my Robin baby, but the location is right. He was certainly where I could see him.
[Image: IMG_1279.JPG]
He has proper feathers this time.
[Image: IMG_1280.JPG]
He is such a cute little bird.
[Image: IMG_1281.JPG]
He seemed very much at home as I was taking his pictures.
[Image: IMG_1282.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1283.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1284.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1285.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1286.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1287.JPG]
He looked all around and then he got tired.
[Image: IMG_1288.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1289.JPG]
I like to think that this is the baby I helped and that he made it safely. I hope so. I did the best I could.
Catherine