Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do animal abusers get to own animals again?
This is a really disturbing issue. People convicted of animal abuse sometimes have previous convictions for the same reason. They are told they cannot own animals, but nothing is enforced.
Sadly a starving dog was returned to a woman and he later died of starvation.
There is no mechanism to prevent people from doing it all again with new animals.
That is why talk of an animal abuse registry is so important. It would be a start towards protecting animals and recognizing that animal abusers are dangerous people.

https://www.thedodo.com/why-do-people-wh...94868.html
It may take awhile before there are any serious animal abuse registries, but getting started is important. We can't prevent all animal abuse(yet), but we should be able to stop reoffenders.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The problem seems to lie with the American system of lawmaking (state laws). In most of Europe, laws are passed at a national level and apply everywhere. So if a judge bans a person from having animals, that is valid countrywide.

The article says that some states in the USA do not have laws which enable a person to be banned for life. The ban can only last as long as the probation (often just a few months). That is clearly inadequate.

A register would record offenders in those states where banning is currently possible, but that does not deal with the issue of inadequate laws in some states in the USA. So IMHO it is necessary to make permanent (or long term in less severe cases) banning of possession of animals an option to judges in all states.
There is a real problem with each state having its own laws. They don't like federal interference in anything. That makes it hard to be consistent in animal abuse cases. An abuser can just cross a state line and he is free to do what he pleases.

Canada has a complex system. Some things are handled at the federal level, some at the provincial level and some at the city level.
Sometimes there are conflicts between the different levels of law making. With some issues there is no jurisdiction at the federal level.
I think there is more cooperation between our provinces. I don't know how well bans on owning animals are enforced. They gave grandchildren to a couple who had been convicted of abusing their children. The five year old boy is dead as a result. I wouldn't count on animals being safe.

I wish we had some type of global power in abuse cases. Maybe some day we will. Abuse is not a national issue. It crosses state lines and cultures. Abuse is wrong. It shouldn't matter where and there should be consequences. Certainly the abuser should not be allowed further animal contact.
Catherine

I'm not sure about all of Europe, but in the UK and France and most other EU countries, criminal laws (indeed almost all laws) are passed by Parliament. There are minor "bye-laws", but these are usually of a very minor and local nature (e.g. littering, traffic control measures). Criminal laws apply nationwide, and judges' decisions are applicable nationally (e.g. a pet ban).

So it is difficult for me to imagine how such variation in state laws could be viewed as preferable in the USA. At the very least, in the case of animal cruelty, bans on having a pet will therefore continue to be very difficult to enforce - especially in view of the inadequate laws in some USA states, as mentioned in my last post.
Britain has a better system of laws. They come from a central governing body and they can be applied equally across the country.

Having states with individual laws means fighting for animal protection laws fifty different times. There is no guarantee that they will be applied equally. In one state you can be executed for a crime and in another it means a jail sentence and parole. How is that fair or just.

In Canada different aspects of animal protection would be handled at different levels of government. I think there are problems with this system. It is too easy for the different government levels to duck their responsibility or let someone else do it. Federal law should over ride the other levels, but there are jurisdictional issues. Then if someone makes a challenge on the basis of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms anything can happen.

And now we know why abusers keep on owning animals.
Catherine

Unfortunately, there have also been animal Rescues with high standards, who have vetted the adopters, seen their property, allowed decent people to adopt an animal....and then some time down the line have had that same animal reported as mis-treated or even stray. Human nature is a mystery. So are all the excuses why a so-called 'beloved pet' couldn't be cared for at least adequately.

But animal abusers should be shown no mercy legally -at least that's what I feel.
Some people seem like they would be good pet owners and some how fail. Both my bearded dragons are rescues who are seriously damaged by neglect. The people seemed okay and probably had good intentions.
They won't do it again.

The serious animal abusers are a different story. They are cruel people who neglect, abuse or do both. They know what they are doing and if they can they do it over and over again. They are the ones that the law should stop and yet fails to stop.
The law should not show them mercy. They need to be stopped.

I guess the rest of us need to be vigilant and report animal abuse cases. If someone has abused animals then we need to watch them since the law does not watch them.
Catherine

Yes some people take on an animal without knowing enough about its needs. They think they are doing okay but the animal is suffering, or may be unwell, caused by the wrong food, or the wrong treatment. Unfortunately it is too easy for anyone to own almost any kind of animal and no questions asked.
But those who cause deliberate harm are criminals and should be treated as criminals. Yes we all have to keep 'an eye open'.
I hope one day they recognize animal abuse for the serious crime it is.
We can't let a crime like this slip through the system and not expect that there will be other problems later. Animal abusers escalate to other crimes.

Repeat offenders need to be watched carefully. Once again it is those who care who must make the difference. The law fails animals in so many ways.
Catherine