Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tails of Triumph
On the tenth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina on of the rescue workers has written a book telling the animals stories.

As sad as some of the stories were, there were also amazing and heart warming stories.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/08/prweb12897892.htm

I have not come across the book yet, but I think it is one that I would want to read.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh, now I must find this book "Tails of Triumph". It sounds like a book I would very much enjoy reading, but I am sure there will be deeply poignant pages as well.

So many people came to the rescue of animals after Hurricane Katrina. Bless all of those people. It must have been an absolute nightmare for all concerned.

I just bought it!
I have got to check out the book store. They must have a copy. I could order one on line probably.

I have read some things about Katrina. If they had let people take their animals more would have evacuated and it would have saved so much work. They were so not prepared for the level of disaster that occurred.

It is good to know that there were good moments.
Catherine

I downloaded a free "Kindle for PC" from Amazon a while ago. So it is easy to buy books (a bit TOO easy! LOL!), and I quite like to read them that way. I actually prefer it to having to hold a paperback, and get it on the right angle in the lamp light to read. Plus I like to read sometimes while I am eating something, and that can get a bit messy wth a paperback!
Having a kindle for PC is like having a nice lit up book, with a stand to hold it!

I have read some already. I was hoping to keep it for when my internet decides not to work. But that plan is not happening.

I feel deeply about what happened during Katrina. And seeing that from the viewpoint of an animal communicator is very moving.

My hope is that for tragedies like this in the future, better plans will be put in place for humans and their beloved animals to stay together.
Myself? I know for a fact I would have either driven out days before, when I got an inkling of the weather -(but of course, not everyone has the freedom to do that)....or I would just have refused to evacuate because of Misty. We would have stuck together no matter what. And probably ended up in a fix.
I think if you couldn't have gone you would have found a way to be safe. You would have sought higher ground. People went into their homes and climbed up into the attics. Once the water was high enough there was no escape. People left pets shut in their homes because they had no idea that there could be flooding.

They were really not prepared for that big a storm and the levees broke because they were not well maintained.

During Hurricane Sandy people were better prepared and animals were looked after. whole sections of the east coast were evacuated inland. Up in Toronto we were on alert because we got the tail end of the storm. They warned us to stay inside and be prepared in case the power went out.
So we have learned from Katrina. It is just sad that such a high price was paid for the knowledge.

I am glad they are still talking about what happened. If we forget the animals of Katrina and fail to learn from them, then we risk having something like that happen again.

I like books on tape. It doesn't work if there are pictures, but I can do all kinds of things with my animals while I listen to a book.

I have an eReader, but I never remember to charge it. I should because I am sure I could put books on it and take them with me to read.
Catherine

Many people were told evacuation was only for one day (overnight) I didn't realise that before when I wondered why so many had left their animals. Just goes to show -I didn't know the full story. Many people were very distressed about their pets.

The book is well written. Front-line viewpoint of the animal rescuers. It seemed well organised. But it was also very difficult to get back into New Orleans as there were roadblocks set up. The electricity company were having a hard job knowing which electric wires were 'hot' and which were dead, and police wouldn't let many people back in for safety reasons. That was another thing I didn't know about.

I am enjoying the book very much indeed.
I don't think you or I would have left our pets even for an hour.

When we had a winter power failure I stayed home with my pets. When it got too cold I moved us all to somewhere with heat. I never considered seeking somewhere comfortable for myself. I had to catch reptiles by candlelight in the cold and then move them. I never considered any other option.
Now I have worked out a way to stay warm I would stay with them.

I think Katrina was completely underestimated. They had no idea of the force behind a hurricane and they had no idea of what a storm surge can do.

People did the best they could, but Katrina showed the whole country how unready they were for a natural disaster of such magnitude.

Next week when I have time I will look for the book. This weekend I am working my local street festival. The reptile centre will be out there with reptiles teaching people and letting them hold them. I will be taking some of my own snakes. They enjoyed it last year. They really liked all the people. It is keeping me busy to get them ready. I have travel containers for them and I want to label them even though I won't let them out of my sight.
Catherine

I found a very good review of the book. It seems to be gaining popularity.
http://lbpost.com/life/pets/2000006858-r...ri-steuben

Now I really can't wait to read it.Smiley43
Catherine

Well....I'm getting close to the end now, which I always hate when I read a good book Sad

It is a good read, and definitely shows the reality of animal rescues after Katrina. It was like a military operation. So many people gave a lot to help those animals.
It is interesting how Terri would 'hear' animals calling for help, in areas where the rescues had almost given up hope.

Some of it is poignantly funny...."Is there FOOD? REALLY? Take me to the FOOD!" ....and "I had to wait for ages on top of this white thing where they keep the food. I haven't had food in AGES!!". (refrigerator)

One cat actually survived on strawberry pop-tarts, and even rationed them!
Quote: One cat actually survived on strawberry pop-tarts, and even rationed them!

I guess when you are hungry enough you will eat anything. I tried a pop tart once. You would have to be very hungry to eat one. That cat had a real strong will to live.

It is amazing how people mobilized to rescue the animals. We were all so upset when we realized animals had been left behind. Anyone who could help did.

I really need to read the book. I need to find it first.
I might try the library. We have a good system.

I just checked and the library does not have the book yet.
Catherine