Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I found my missing baby snake!!!
She should shed in a day or two. She is going to grow up to be a very pretty snake. She is such an amazing shade of orange and she is striped, with the stripes running the length of her body. That is not a common corn snake look so I am pretty excited about it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Here she is looking very pretty.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dXXzn...G_1377.JPG

I am not sure this picture will work. If it doesn't, I will repost when the glitch is resolved.
Catherine

I'm so glad you found her and that she is okay now. I would have been frantic if one of my pet family got lost. Now you can rest knowing she is okay now.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I can't believe I found her and that she is alright.

[Image: IMG_1377.JPG]
The link was posted during the glitch period. This time I have actually posted it.
She is a special little snake. It took 101 days for her egg to hatch. Normally 60-70 days is enough time. She was the only one to hatch. All the other eggs failed. Mom laid the eggs way too early in the year for some reason. she was slow to hatch, but she was very big for a new hatchling and has done so well. Having her get out was devastating. I still can't believe I found her.
Isn't her colour amazing?
Catherine

She is beautiful. A lovely deep Salmon pink, or a bit like coral, I am very glad she came home!
Her colour is amazing, very pretty.
She is special. I am not sure that she is a she and I haven't settled on a name yet. She is young and I would rather take my time about a name. It needs to be colour related. 

Words like fire and flame come to mind Phoenix has already been used.
Catherine

Well....there's always "Rosie"....."Rose"...."Coral"....(just ideas, but you and she -if 'she' is a 'she'! -may want something more special.)
Catherine I'm curious as to how you determine the sex of snakes?
Naming is tough because I have no idea about gender. She might be female.  I would like a gender neutral name. Comet, Blaise, Star. None of these names is quite right. I have used Aurora already. She is such an intense orange. There must be a suitable name.

How do I tell the gender of snakes? It is not easy. When Firebird laid eggs I was sure that she was female. That meant that Sedona was male. Some people can look at them and tell. When they are bigger sometimes you can see the male parts, but if you can't see them the snake may be a young male who hasn't developed yet. 

I like the Sam method. Sam is my best breeding male. He knows a male from a female 100% and immediately. If I introduce Sam to a snake his reaction will tell me. Snakes are not too aggressive with each other, but two males just act differently than a male and a female. Some of my other males are less clear about gender so when I need to be sure Sam helps out. And like I said, if it lays eggs it is a girl. I have been surprized many times. I have a whole younger generation of future breeders that I can't pair off yet because it is too soon to tell.
Catherine