Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Gorilla Naming Ceremony
In Rwanda, where many of the Mountain Gorillas live, they hold a ceremony to name the babies born each year.
This is really important and it is a sign that the Gorillas have become important as individuals.

Up until recent years many gorillas were killed by poachers. Now they have become an important tourist attraction and are protected as a National Treasure. The gorillas and their tourist draw contribute to the economic well being of the whole country.
This is the best possible solution to protect the mountain gorillas and ensure their survival and even increase in numbers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34166701

A few years back every time I heard about a mountain gorilla in the news it was because it had been killed by poachers. Now they are being protected and even given names as the unique individuals that they are.Smiley32
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What better way to bring the individuality of these wonderful creatures to the attention of local people.
If we name them as we would our own, then they become our own, and our feelings of loyalty and protectiveness will grow accordingly.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
The whole attitude towards the gorillas has changed. They cherish and protect them because they are now an important part of the local economy.

I think it was eight years ago that a number of mountain gorillas were shoot by poachers. It was heart breaking. Beautiful big silver back males were killed. Moms nursing babies were killed. If I remember right, one baby survived because, when the shooting started a nearby older brother grabbed her and ran to safety. The mom was killed, but he brought the baby to the rangers so they could care for her. Smiley19 That story broke my heard.

It is such a joyful thing to hear that they are giving the babies names and there are twenty four babies.Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine