Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pain control for pets
I can remember when it was thought that pets did not need pain meds even after surgery. Fortunately times have changed. Vets recognize that pets can benefit from pain control as much as their owners.
First we need to recognize that our pet is in pain. Never give human meds to a pet(unless advised by a vet). If you think your pet is in pain, seek vet advice. Even an old dog or cat shouldn't suffer because of aches and pains. There are medications to help ease arthritis and give relief to our furry friends.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

We have come a long way medically with better pet care products. The attitude towards out pets is much better. No pet should ever need to suffer again without some relief.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's heartbreaking isn't it -that in the past, some people didn't think animals could feel pain!? It always makes me wonder why anyone would come to that conclusion. I often wonder if it was as a result of watching them give birth? Most animals give birth fairly silently, with maybe only a few slight sounds.
It could be that they are genetically-programmed to do that, as giving birth noisily in the wild could alert predators?

Anyway, it is good that nowadays there are a few good painkilling options for animals, post-surgically, and for many painful conditions.
People who are quiet about pain have the same problem. Unless you scream and carry on, they think it doesn't hurt.

Animals are smart enough to be controlled when it hurts, even in childbirth. It isn't safe for an animal to advertise that it is injured. Injured animals attract predators.

There is no reason not to help an animal with pain relief. I am sure many pets are living better lives because they can be made more comfortable, especially when they get older. We have come a long way.
Catherine

It's not so very long ago that it was thought that human babies didn't feel pain after surgery etc.
Some surgeries were done without anaesthetic for this reason. It's hard to imagine now.
Of course all animals feel pain and if we can alleviate that, then of course we should.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
There is also another thing, and that is many animals 'hide' their pain. That also is genetically-programmed response, based on not making their weakness obvious to potential predators. Cats are worse than dogs in that respect. Usually, by the time a cat or dog shows for sure it is in pain, the situation is severe or advanced.

It's important to be aware of how our animals are and behave each day -and unusual behaviours suddenly. Even excessive licking/washing can mean there is pain.....or leaving food in the dish. Not always, but sometimes.

Sometimes they look fine and walk normally etc. But shy away from being touched or petted, or yelp, stiffen, flinch or hiss when they are picked up.
Quote:It's not so very long ago that it was thought that human babies didn't feel pain after surgery etc.
Some surgeries were done without anaesthetic for this reason. It's hard to imagine now.
Of course all animals feel pain and if we can alleviate that, then of course we should.

We humans are great for assuming that nobody feels pain except us. I can remember reading the idea in a Dickens novel(put forward by a rich person)that the poor didn't feel, because they are not like the rich. Dickens then goes on to show how deeply the poor man felt, much more so than the rich woman.

You are right, children were given nothing for pain. After serious foot surgery when I was ten (I did have to be given full anesthetic) I was given no post surgical pain killers. That first night after the surgery was desperately painful. I was not even shown how to call a nurse. I was on an adult ward because I needed a surgical bed, but the nurses ignored me. I was just a small child(at ten I was very tiny).

We have barely come to see that animals feel pain. Now that we have, our pets can expect help.
What about farm animals? Could it be that they feel pain too and some of our practices are very cruel.
Catherine