Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shocking conditions in European Rabbit farms
Rabbits are crammed into small cages and raised as food. It is every bit as cruel as the battery cages chickens have endured.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I am not sure the video in the article posted properly. I wasn't able to see it so I am posting it directly.

I am sure most people are unaware of how rabbits are raised. The poor rabbits are allowed so little time to live and that time is miserable and uncomfortable. There isn't even a minimum of care.

They can't even bother to remove the dead rabbits. That is cold and callous. Something must be done to stop this.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is exactly like battery chickens. Just as horrific and cruel.

No, I think that many people do not know where 'rabbit' comes from, and how these poor creatures are being forced to exist in the most horrible conditions.
I remember years ago being very pleased because I had found Misty a very healthy dry dog food. It had no 'bad' additives, and was wholesome through and through. Its main ingredients were rabbit and brown rice. (She didn't eat only the dry food, but approximately a half-and half mix.) She was extremely fit on that food.

Now I wasn't stupid. I obviously knew some killing had taken place to make that, but I had no idea how the ingredients were sourced. I only knew about rabbits being shot for food. I did not know of any other way rabbit could be obtained. In my view, Rabbits were either bred as pets, or they were wild.
There is quite a lot of game hunting goes on in my area, and that was the only way I knew of to obtain rabbit meat.
I used to wonder if people were paid to hunt and shoot wild rabbits......

At that time I had abslutely NO IDEA they were being kept like this!!

It must stop. Even if they are destined to be meat -whoever keeps them in these conditions must be stopped. They have a right to a decent life, even if in captivity, and a right to a humane and swift passing.

This treatment of Rabbits bred for food is rife in the UK too, as the meat is becoming more and more popular.

I found a petition:

http://action.ciwf.org.uk/ea-action/acti...d=2d57aea1

This makes me very sad -especially knowing I had a part to play in it myself.
I know how you feel. Most of us trusted that our food came from good sources. The more we know the more shocked we become.

It is good that groups like Compassion in World Farming are making the truth public. We know how animals are raised and we can make choices.

The filth and the total lack of regard for the comfort of the animals is shocking.

I think in the end our whole method of food production will need to be completely overhauled. Nothing less that a complete change in thinking and methods will do. The problem is to ingrained in the system for a few quick fixes.
Catherine

The video in your first post, Catherine, unfortunately no longer works. There is a message which says, "The video has been removed by the user" (I wonder why?).

The video in the article you gave does work, but it is distressing viewing. Rabbits are such non-aggressive, gentle creatures and deserve respect, not terrible cruelty like this.
Thank you for this information. I forgot rabbits were used for food. I signed the petition.
(10-02-2015, 07:16 PM)LPC Wrote: The video in your first post, Catherine, unfortunately no longer works. There is a message which says, "The video has been removed by the user" (I wonder why?).

I found, when I clicked on the link, that it didn't work. But when I highlighted it (Firefox) -right-clicked and chose "search Google for......" it came up immediately.
That was last night. Just now, I right-clicked as before, and it did not appear at all on Google search. But when I left-clicked the link itself, it led to this:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/607...g-pet-food

Tonight, I have emailed the manufacturer of the dog food which Misty used to eat, and told them that although I like their dog food very much for its 'natural' ingredients, I am horrified that the supply of rabbit meat comes from these dreadful conditions. I have asked them to contact their meat supplier to tell them those who buy pet food do not want to be a part of this cruelty.
Tobi, I wanted to sign the petition, but the page keeps on timing out, and a message appears saying the page cannot be displayed. Perhaps this is just temporary. I will try again tomorrow.
I notice that the video no longer works, but the original one does. I have no idea why this would be. It is a very disturbing video.

I have eaten rabbit in the past, but I would not eat it now. I have not even looked into how rabbits are raised in Canada, but I doubt it is better.
We haven't proved to be better in any other ways.

I am sure if you persevere you will get the petition to work.

I realize that people don't have a regard for the animals they are raising. They don't care if they suffer.
However, they are raising them for food and there are strict rules around food handling, so how do they get away with the extreme filth. Why isn't the health department all over this.
Catherine

Petition page is working again. I signed. Thanks for the link, Tobi.
I don't know why the internet is so quirky. Sometimes I can post a video, but I can't watch until the next day. At a certain time of night I have to give up trying to watch anything. If I keep trying I end up with my computer freezing. I have no idea why this happens.
Catherine