Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gabrielle the crow
When I was about 12 my brother got a pet crow and quickly lost interest in him. I became his best buddy. Gabrielle would follow my bus to school every day and greet me at school by landing on my arm. He was a great bird and I so missed him when he suddenly disappeared one day.
Crows are clever and they get very tame. You had an interesting time with him. Not too many of us get met by a crow after school. How long was he with you.

I wonder if he encountered a flock of crows and went with them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The crow met me when I got to school and would land on my arm and then go off. I hope he met with another crow. I was worried that someone may have hurt him. He would land on my neighbors heads and they complained to us about it. Shortly after that he disappeared.
Oh what a lovely experience, Ruth! Crows are very intelligent and can be very friendly when they get to know a human being. I am sorry he disappeared. Maybe he found a girl-friend who wanted to move to another location?

Crows are quite special, I think.
I agree, crows are special. They are very clever. My friends and I spent a week in a cabin overlooking the ocean. The crows figured out our meal times right away and watched for us to finish because they knew they could get some leftovers. When we packed up to leave they were right there. They had learned that people throw out a lot of good food. If the crows are there we give it to them.
They got a bag of sausages that we didn't get around to eating.

I love seeing the crows around the neighbourhood. The fly in and then they go for a while. Ruth, maybe that is what happened to your crow. When the flock came by he would go with them. Crows like people, but they need to be with other crows.
Catherine

Well, I hope he went off with other crows but am not sure. He was a great bird. So lovable, so much fun, a great friend!
You never know for sure, but you never saw any sign of him. I like to think that is a sign that he took off with other crows. They do go long distances. Think of the saying "as the crow flies". I find the flocks here fly in and fly out. They never stay for long.
Catherine

yes crows are very intelligent. I saw two today, in the orchard. They were pulling up worms. One flew away when I walked round the corner, but the other one put his/her? head on one side as I spoke softly to him and said there was nothing to be scared of and that I'd give him space and go away in a moment.
He (she?) carried on pulling worms while sometimes looking up at me. He didn't seem scared at all.
Well, Gabrielle is surely in heaven now as he was our pet when I was 12 years old which is 46 years ago. I hope to see him there one day.
Gabrielle will be waiting for you for sure. We have so much to look forward to when we cross the bridge ourselves.

Tobi, you always have such interesting encounters with wildlife. The crows probably all know you to see you. I am sure all the birds know you to see you. They probably have a name for you. They have probably made you an honorary bird after all the birds you have freed from traps.
Catherine