Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonobos at the Cincinnati Zoo
Cincinnati zoo has a large Bonobo troop. For those of you unfamiliar with the name. Bonobos are sometimes called pigmy chimps. They are a type of great ape, a type of chimp really. They are thought to be are closest animal relative. When you look at their faces, some of them look like people I know. Their hair is bad enough to be like ours.
They are very intelligent and very social.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo

Because the zoo has brought in two new females, they have combined groups and have them all interacting. I wish I could be there to see this. It would be an incredible experience.

Copy and past the address to see the article:
http://www.wlwt.com/news/Girl-Power-Bono...o/36233752

I would love a chance to see Bonobos. I almost got to see them in San Diego, but it started raining and they brought them inside.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

They really do look humanlike. It would be cool to see them.
I can probably do it. Cincinnati is not too far from here.

They are so much like us. I love their faces. They have such expressive faces. I think we can learn much about ourselves fro understanding them.
Catherine

I agree they are our ancenseters. Not sure how to spell that word. I believe more in Evolution than Creation.
(11-08-2015, 09:02 AM)Ruth Wrote: I agree they are our ancenseters.  Not sure how to spell that word.  I believe more in Evolution than Creation.

That's interesting Ruth, I don't understand how Evolution works.  Huh
It is late and I am tired, but I can say this.  Life has gone from being very simple to being very complex. It has been a process that has taken hundreds of millions of years.  Evolution is not a straight line. It is like a tree that branches. If you follow the branches of a tree, some branch off from each other early on. They go on separately to be full grown branches. Tree branches keep separating or branching. Reptiles now are the top of their branch. They separated from our branch a long time ago.  Chimps, Gorillas and Bonobos and even Orangutans  are on the same branch as us. They have almost the same DNA as us.  So we would have common ancestors if you went back far enough.  We are talking millions of years.

I understand that Orangutans branched off first and are the top of their branch now. Gorillas were next to branch off. You can see how close they are. Chimps and Bonobos are even closer. I would have to look up details to know how long ago these things took place.  There are primitive human ancestors that were found recently.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/scienc....html?_r=0
They do not even know how closely related they are  yet.

We don't have all the details of evolution worked out. We are still coming up with theories and ideas. We do know that there has been a tremendous process at work. The fact that we are still finding big pieces of the puzzle is exciting.

Using the tools of DNA finger printing it has been determined that our species, Homo sapiens did not drive Homo Neanderthal to extinction. Whatever happened, we all seem to have some Neanderthal DNA in our genetic make up.

All of this makes Bonobos so much more exciting because they are close relatives.  Most of our other close relatives no longer exist.
Catherine