Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal Abuse/Domestic Violence--one problem
The article I found is very good, but it is disturbing. It is okay if you can't read it all.
It has been known for some time that there is a link between domestic violence and animal abuse. The article analyzes it very well and points out the different types of violence.

It is good that they are studying this and tracking the incidents. They now know that a restraining order or an intervention has to include the family pets. They know when they encounter animal abuse to look for signs of domestic abuse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-adam...60196.html

I think what I find horrible is how deliberate and thought out the abuse of the pets is. The abuser at no time loses control. It is a carefully thought out act geared to cause the maximum pain and distress.

I think any act of animal abuse must be seen as part of this bigger picture of violence.

There is a group keeping track of this.
http://www.pet-abuse.com/

I am saddened that such a site needs to exist, but I am relieved that it does, because clearly there is need for such a site.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is very disturbing indeed. But thank goodness this issue is being given sufficient attention and taken very seriously.

It is even said that some serial killers start with animal abuse......

I am glad animals are included in the protection plans. But the perpetrators are very sick indeed and need serious psychological help.
Who knows how common this problem is? Taking out anger and frustration on the innocent, or worse....deliberate and calculated acts of cruelty?
Yes, this is so disturbing of what some people will do to animals. I think it is important to remember that many of us now are keeping track of this and trying every day to change things, and we are. I recently got an email that a dog who was part wolf was saved because of all the signatures in a petition, me included. They wanted to euthanize the dog just because it was part wolf.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
You are right, this is disturbing.  I think there is a link with serial killers killing animals and people.

This is another human/animal link. Perpetrators of domestic violence include the family pets in their violence. We know that for sure now.
The link certainly needs more study. Domestic violence itself needs more study because we do not know why it happens or how to prevent it.

It is important that animals are being considered and given protection. It is probably not enough, but it is a start. I guess when we watch for violence in the people around us we now know that we need to watch out for their pets.  I think there are shelters that will take women with their pets. I believe some animal shelters will hold the pets of domestic abuse victims while they sort their lives out.  These are all positive things. We need more and we can push for more.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine