Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A dog was hurt in the Toronto subway
Sadly someone's  lost dog managed to get into a subway tunnel.  She was spotted after she was injured.
I think the work that was done to free Katie the dog was commendable. They really did try to save her.

Her owner was able to be with her at the vets, but sadly Katie's injuries were too extreme and she had to be put down.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I don't know how she got down to track level like that. It is very well fenced.  I have never heard of another dog incident.

Any comments I heard from people who were held up when the trains were stopped had to do with concern for the dog. Everyone hoped she could be saved.
I feel for her owner who had been searching for her and found her too late.  RIP Katie. Smiley19
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I heard an interview with Katie's owner. It was very sad. They had been searching for her, but never considered the subway tunnel because it is fenced off.
Katie couldn't have survived. Both her back legs were gone and other injuries. A train must have gone over her.

At least her people were with her and held her  in the end. The rescue people really did try and save her and a whole section of the city subway system was shut down so they could get at her. The tracks are dangerous and dogs can't read warning signs.

They still haven't said how she got onto the tracks. I am sure they are looking into it very carefully.
Catherine

Oh poor dear Katie! My kindest thoughts go out to her and to her caretaker. The woman must be so very sad right now.
Katie's injuries sound awful and I am sure euthanasia was the best solution.

Even though it was such a sad outcome, at least she was found, would have been given pain relief, and had those last moments with her caretaker. Thank goodness they found her, as she must have been in such pain.

Blessings to her Soul.
It was a very sad thing and even the Mayor and the head of the transit expressed their regrets at what happened.

I agree, it was a horrible accident and she was suffering, but being reunited with her people was a real comfort. Katie at least knew she was rescued and died in peace with those she loved.

I don't think I have ever heard of a dog ending up on the tracks. They are well fenced off.  I am sure they will find out where Katie got into the system and close it off.
Catherine

I really hope someone does go and check out where she probably got through. Because that must be a decent-sized gap for a German Shepherd to get through. Hopefully they will stop anything like this happening again, or even a human getting onto the tracks. Some children or teenagers could do that for a 'dare'.
I can't imagine how Katie got on the tracks. The system is pretty secure. You can get at the tracks from inside a station, but a dog would never make it into a station let alone down to platform level. 

I suppose the heavy rain might have washed the ground out from under a fence and created a gap. That kind of thing would not be noticeable unless you were up close. A dog of course would find a gap.

Maybe they will need to walk the tracks in the area and inspect the fences.  To do that they will need to wait until the system is closed for the night. The trains run fairly often and they would never risk workmen at track level without plenty of precautions. I think that is why we are so shocked about a dog on the tracks. We are all sad that the dog has died, but we are also shocked that it was possible for it to happen.
Catherine

That is so sad. RIP.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I feel sad for Katie dog's people, but I also feel sad for her sister. Katie lived with her littermate and that dog has never known life without Katie.  She must wonder what happened and why Katie has never come home. Animals grieve too.
Catherine