Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Budgie at the bird feeder
I can imagine the surprize of a Winnipeg woman when she noticed a budgie at her bird feeder among the sparrows.  With winter coming on rescuers had to work quickly. The sparrows probably kept the budgie warm, but Winnipeg gets cold. I should know, I grew up there. It took a while, but they were ingenious in setting up a "trap" for the bird, now know as MacGyvor. They set up a cage with a heat lamp and food and they moved it to where ever the bird appeared. On Jan 1, 2016 he was finally caught and brought in out of the cold. 

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/...-cold.html

He was a very resourceful little bird, but there is no way he could survive a whole Manitoba winter. Winnipeg's nickname is "Winterpeg".
It seems now that MacGyvor is safe over a dozen people want to claim him.
How they will figure out his real owner I don't know. The important thing is that he is safe and will have a good home with someone for the rest of his life.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What an ingenious little bird. No wonder they called him MacGyvor!!
I'm truly glad he is safe and warm now.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Budgies are smart little birds. They get out fairly often and many people I know have had budgies fly in their open window or door and seek help. Joining a flock of sparrows is brilliant. The sparrows would keep him warm and find him food.
Then he had enough sense to let himself be rescued.
Catherine

Awww, so glad he is not cold any more. I heard that some budgies fly around England in 40 degree temperatures but they can't survive if it's much colder.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
This budgie was in Winnipeg and it hits -40C/-40F.  That is why they worked so hard to catch him. The rescuers knew that time was running out. The real winter temperatures were due and the poor budgie would not have survived. Maybe that is why he was willing to enter a cage. He could feel how cold it was getting.

I am glad it ended well for him. If they don't sort out the real owner, they can at least let him be adopted by a good home.
Catherine