Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Working Dogs targeted by thieves
A fully-trained gundog can fetch a four-figure sum. Even working dogs who live outside in kennels are loved and appreciated by their caretakers, and when the thieves strike, many are devastated and very upset.

And some are kidnapped for ransom.

Dog theft, particularly of working dogs, or farm dogs who spend a lot of their time outside is on the increase in the UK apparently. This video may help to alert farmers and anyone who keeps working dogs, particularly those who are kennelled:

http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/video-dog-thef...-story.htm

Further reading....advice about keeping them safe:

http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/dognapping-mak...s-safe.htm
This is terrible. I knew there was a problem with farm machinery being stolen. This is the first I have heard of major dog thefts.  Farmers and people in the country must be so distressed. The people who got their dogs bad were really lucky. It sounds like few ever hear of their dogs again.

I suppose the days of carefree dogs roaming the farm are over. There will need to be all kinds of security. Micro chipping would help. I wonder if the old fashioned ear tattoos would protect a dog. They were easily seen and can't be removed.

I am sure dog owners are thinking of all kinds of ways to protect their dogs.  I wonder who buys these stolen dogs?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well, a working dog can be advertised on sites like Gumtree, etc -or even locally in shop window adverts. And pictures can be taken to make that dog look like a 'family pet'....and blurb can be written (usually using terrible spelling and grammar!) -telling a sad tale about why they can't keep their beloved dog any longer.
Anyone could buy a stolen dog.
The answer is -DON'T BUY DOGS unless you know the breeder very well! Get them from a reputable Rescue!

And the entire ones of good working stock could be used as puppy making machines. That is much sadder.
It really scares me that people steal dogs. I have heard of some almost being stolen in my neighborhood.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
It still seems incredible that someone would steal a dog.

It would be terrible to never know what happened to your pet.

I hope this motivates people to micro chip their dogs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine