Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange situation with Mrs Yang (dog rescuer)
This is quite upsetting. I thought twice about whether to post it or not...but maybe people have a right to know.

No To Dog Meat charity visited Mrs Yang last year and found some serious discrepancies, a story that didn't hold together, and dogs in serious need. The link below is from their blog:

https://notodogmeat.wordpress.com/2015/1...gust-2015/
(some of the video images are upsetting; though not gruesome, they show dogs in great need, and some images of deceased dogs.)

Unfortunately, the findings do not sound biased, as they were backed up by a Chinese Animal Rescue group. No To Dog Meat has had a lot of negativity against them on social media, mainly owing to the way they have handled doubters and their critics, but I don't see any reason to disbelieve those 2015 findings.

I am not in a position to judge anyone, but my heart goes out to the dogs. Movement or legal seizing of these dogs by other charities is tricky in China. It may be that Mrs Yang had good intentions and got in over her head, trying to help so many dogs (and cats) But some things do not make sense....such as why did she refuse when food was offered to her shelter, and only wanted the money instead?
For those who don't undersatnd what this story is all about, please look here first:
http://www.animalloverswebforum.com/show...p?tid=1456

Tobi, I agree with your assessment of this situation. I remember this lady. She appeared to have very good intentions and at the time I took her at face value and assumed that she was genuinely trying to save these dogs. However, at the time I didn't donate, as I had some residual doubts about the fact that she would only accept donations to her personal account and not a couldn't/wouldn't create a separate charity account.

It is difficult to judge without having visited personally, but I'm afraid I'm inclined to believe the account of the "No to dog meat" charity. Their report is very detailed.

I just hope that no dogs were sold back to the dog traders by her or her family. There are a lot of unanswered questions. A truly, truly, sad story.
I am also inclined to believe the videos, pictures, and accounts from No To Dog Meat, and the independent Chinese animal rescue charity.
It is truly sad. I don't know what's happening.

Those poor puppies, only days old, desperately trying to suckle from their dead mother...And I assumed no-one had the right or jurisdiction to scoop them up, and carry them out of there. My saddest hope was that they would pass quickly, and be re-united with their mother in the astral fields.

I did donate, but not a lot. My usual £20. I am sure those funds received, if they are not used for Mrs Yang directly, will be used in other areas in the struggle to save dogs and cats in the meat trade, as there is much work going on with that cause. That is, of course, if the issue with Mrs Yang is resolved successfully, and legally. That will take some time I am sure.

Yes I see what you mean, LPC, about the bank account situation being a bit dubious. I had a personal bias myself about that, as have experience of opening a "Business bank account" in the UK in 2007....then a little while later seriously wishing I hadn't. That account cost me a lot of money. I even had to pay for cheques crediting my account! And other complications.
As soon as I could, I shut it down, and let everything pass through my personal account instead, which was much easier and healthier.
So I actually thought a similar situation might have been why Mrs Yang didn't want to open a separate charity account. Also I had no clue what it might be like in China.

I am so sorry about this. It seemed there was at least one heart-felt ray of hope amidst the barbarity and intense suffering. One person at least fighting to help with all that she had. Now it seems things are darker than we thought. I hope something will happen to help those dogs.
I can't stand to watch videos of dogs being harmed. There are 2 I saw that kept coming back to mind over and over and they were really gruesome. One was a dog being skinned alive and crying and the other one was begging for it's life it seemed and then shot. I can't watch them anymore. I do know the cause and advocate for dogs every day.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I know Ruth. It is horrific.
The people and charities who work to try and help these dogs and cats have my greatest respect. They must see and encounter things that are indescribable.
I have been reading the reports about Mrs. Yang's shelters.

It doesn't look good. Many of the animals appear to have been abandoned to die of starvation. They certainly are not being cared for.

Has Mrs. Yang turned into some strange animal hoarder. People who hoard animals actually believe they are helping them even though the animals are seriously neglected.

Is she making money from the animals. I wonder if she is trafficking the dogs and cats.

I worry about her refusal of food and her demands for money. 

If she was serious about animal rescue, she could clean up the first site and turn it into a shelter.
I am sure she could get volunteers to help her clean up.

They need to rescue the animals from Mrs. Yang. I don't know if they can do that. We know so little about Chinese laws.  Here Animal Services or some other official group would move in and take charge of the animals.

I hope they can sort things out.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(02-06-2016, 12:08 PM)Tobi Wrote: I know Ruth. It is horrific.
The people and charities who work to try and help these dogs and cats have my greatest respect. They must see and encounter things that are indescribable.

They have my utmost respect, too.  I don't know if I am thinned skinned or what but I can't stand to see animals suffer.  It is so terrible what humans do to animals.  Humans need to be the ones in cages and the animals outside of them is what I think at times!

(02-06-2016, 04:08 PM)Catherine Wrote: I have been reading the reports about Mrs. Yang's shelters.

It doesn't look good. Many of the animals appear to have been abandoned to die of starvation. They certainly are not being cared for.

Has Mrs. Yang turned into some strange animal hoarder. People who hoard animals actually believe they are helping them even though the animals are seriously neglected.

Is she making money from the animals. I wonder if she is trafficking the dogs and cats.

I worry about her refusal of food and her demands for money. 

If she was serious about animal rescue, she could clean up the first site and turn it into a shelter.
I am sure she could get volunteers to help her clean up.

They need to rescue the animals from Mrs. Yang. I don't know if they can do that. We know so little about Chinese laws.  Here Animal Services or some other official group would move in and take charge of the animals.

I hope they can sort things out.

There needs to be a world animal police agency!! Heart

Anyone with a will to do it, could at least have made some inroads to cleaning up the junk that litters the Shelters. It must be tremendous hard work trying to look after so many dogs, and there would be almost certainly some dog poop around, no matter how hard a person worked, but it's obvious that no-one has bothered to remove the general litter and rubbish around the tenement building.

Just saying that she had 'lost the key' to an area where a number of dogs appeared to be without water....is not good enough. If they were my dogs, I would have had to take a hacksaw to that gate! It might have taken all day to saw through it but it isn't impossible.

I must admit, none of the dogs I saw looked to be painfully thin or starving, although some had terrible skin problems and goodness knows what else. But there is more to animal care than just dumping a sack of dry food on the ground!

There must be a great disease risk for dogs going on there.
I agree with all you've said. I, too, would take a hacksaw, crowbar or whatever was necessary to get to these dogs!