Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who let the dove out
Smile 
I left for work in a rush yesterday, but last thing before I went I noticed the doves were low on food. So I stopped and fed them.

When I got home last night Virgil dove was sitting on top of the cage, the outside of the cage. I forgot to close the door. He was easy to catch and he was ready to go home. He wanted some sleep.

This morning I noticed a little dove "calling card" on my computer chair. I wonder where else he visited.
I also wonder about the computer. The doves can see me using the computer because their cage is beside and slightly behind me.  If a whole case of dove food is delivered in the next few days I know they have it figured out.

Smile It was cute. He was just waiting for me to put him back. Does that mean that I could free roam the doves sometimes? I would like that.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Was the calling card written in Latin, LOL?! (Virgil is his name after all.....) Rotating LOL

(Virgil wrote about a dove flying in Aeneid Bk 5, by the way....)
Free flying doves would be lovely, except for the calling cards, of course.
You may find a whole raft of stuff being delivered, if he went around all the creatures taking orders. There's a thought!!
I think my piggies would order hay cookies and the dandelion and green oat mixture that they love.
And extra broccoli!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
(02-22-2016, 03:09 AM)Catherine Wrote: I left for work in a rush yesterday, but last thing before I went I noticed the doves were low on food. So I stopped and fed them.

When I got home last night Virgil dove was sitting on top of the cage, the outside of the cage. I forgot to close the door. He was easy to catch and he was ready to go home. He wanted some sleep.

This morning I noticed a little dove "calling card" on my computer chair. I wonder where else he visited.
I also wonder about the computer. The doves can see me using the computer because their cage is beside and slightly behind me.  If a whole case of dove food is delivered in the next few days I know they have it figured out.

Smile It was cute. He was just waiting for me to put him back. Does that mean that I could free roam the doves sometimes? I would like that.

A little time outside the cage might be nice for them.  I don't know how large their "callings cards" are, though.  I find some with my birds flying around every day.  Mine only make tiny little doodies.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Quote:(Virgil wrote about a dove flying in Aeneid Bk 5, by the way....)

You are right, Virgil is Latin. I wonder if some memory of the Aeneid made me think of Virgil as a dove name. It has been years since I studied Latin. So what I found on the chair is avis puppis.  (I looked it up) So far he seems to have only hung around the computer. 
You are right, Cibach, maybe he took orders and a whole lot of stuff will come. When I am on the computer the doves often sit in their higher perch where they can see me. They are watching me now. Every time I turn they both have their eyes one me.

My doves have a big cage. It once belonged to a cockatiel. Still it would be sweet if they could come out. I can close off the room they are in and that would be safer. I don't think there are any dangers. I will look the room over and try opening the door on a day when I can watch them. He let me pick him up so maybe they are getting tamer and could be handled.

My previous birds were quail and they never get tame. They don't really fly either although Stuart used to get out and roam around. He was always back in his enclosure, but birds always leave a bit of avis puppis to let you know they were there.
Catherine

I have a long drape on the doorway out of the living room to prevent my birds from flying into the bathroom or bedroom. I never leave the toilet seat up just in case they should fly past the drape. I've heard of birds drowning in toilets. Mine fly in a circle around the living room. Bailee has learned from Danny how to fly around the room. She is doing really good with flying now but it took quite awhile before she learned to fly just like Danny does.

My next full day home I might open the door and see what the doves do. I should see if they will come to my hand. That would make catching them so much easier. They do seem a lot tamer than when I first got them. They are used to me and my habits and they do like their set up. I just want to look around first and see if their are any dangers.

I always keep the toilet seat down. When you have pets there is always a risk of something ending up in the bathroom. No small animal could get out if the fell in. The water is cold too and that could be a problem.
Catherine

I never have to catch my birds. They have a playpen outside of their cage and they perch on that or go in the cage and the door is always open for them to come and go as they please. I wait for them to go back in their cage together at their bedtime and then close the door and cover them. They will always return to where their food is and it's in their cage. They do have another food dish on their playpen and I put very little food in there because Bailee gets in the dish and knocks the food out. She hasn't done that since I quit filling that bowl up. Their dish in their cage is always full and they mostly eat from that.

So, from the time I get up I open up their cage and leave it open all day for them to come and go. They willingly return to the cage when it's sleep time for them and then like I said I close the door and cover them while they are sleeping.

I may start leaving the cage door open at sleep time and just cover the cage. I did that when Danny was the lone bird and he popped out when he was ready to. I am waiting for Bailey to become a better flier to do that again. She is doing pretty good at flying so far.

I think it is easier to work with budgies. Doves are less tame and interact with people less. At least that is how it seems.

Virgil was on top of his cage. I am not sure he knew how to get back in. I would really need to watch them at first. Dora has never left the cage even though I left the door open twice now. Maybe she never will. She is very shy and gentle.
Catherine

I don't push my budgies to interact with me. Some people do but mine just get scared if I try to handle them so I don't. Once in awhile I will pick up Bailee, though.

I don't know much about doves. What kind of doves are they? We have morning doves here.