Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog who fell from boat found alive 5 weeks later!
Luna the german shepherd fell from her owners boat off of California. In spite of a search there was no sign of her and it was presumed she drowned.
Imagine the surprize when she was found on a California coastal island Five Weeks later.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/03/17/g...a-rescued/

I am sure her rescue was something her owner had given up hoping for.

I think it is an amazing story. You never know when an animal goes missing what has really happened to it. She must have swum all the way to land.  She is one remarkable dog.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What a great story with a very happy ending! That must have been a long swim for Luna, and it's good that she abandoned the idea of sticking close to the boat, and made for land instead. What an amazing dog!
I'm so glad that this story has a happy ending and the dog survived and will be reunited with her caretaker. There is no mention that the caretaker put a doggie life-belt on the dog before going deep-sea fishing. See http://petslady.com/articles/6-best-life...dogs-68963 This should have been done.
I agree LPC. Luna should have had a life-jacket. It is easy for a dog to go overboard. Anyway gladly all was well in the end. But poor Luna, and what she must have gone through.
I did not know that they made life jackets for dogs. Not only do they make them, there are choices and styles that suit different breeds. I noticed that one company is Canadian. That makes sense, we are surrounded by three different oceans.

I don't think Luna had a life jacket, but she at least is a breed that swims well and the water was not too cold.

Still a dog on a boat in a life jacket makes sense. Could a life line be attached to the vest for extra safety?

It is extremely lucky that she was able to swim to land and then be found safely.  Luna is one lucky dog.
Catherine

A lifebelt is the minimum, IMHO. As for a lifeline, I don't know, but lifeline netting is quite common: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B65D1EZvHo
I like the netting. It would make the boat/ship safer for pets, children and people who trip.
It looks like a tedious job to install it, but it would be worth it if it saved a life.

That would be better than a life line.

A lot of people don't even wear a life jacket for themselves.

A little GPS in the life jacket would help if you did end up in the water. The ocean is a big place to search for a small person/pet.
They did search for Luna, but had no success.
Catherine

If I had a boat I would require all humans and non humans wear life jackets. That netting is a real good idea, too. Boats can be rocky at times.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I like the netting. It would make things much safer. It makes no sense to go out in a boat and not wear a life jacket.
I just think it is great that they make them for dogs.

Dogs are happy to wear winter coats so I am sure a lifejacket would be no problem.
Catherine

Many dogs will let you put different clothes on them. A life jacket is a real necessity. It's a great thing that this dog made it to the island!

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]