Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beaver vs. Mountie, a standoff of Canadian Icons
Our National Animal decided to cross the Trans Canada Highway, or at least cross it partway. He then sat down and  refused to move. Our National Police force, the RCMP or Mounties as we call them, arrived to solve the problem.

It was more like a standoff for awhile, then the Beaver expressed his displeasure with hisses and waddled off into the bush.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/canadi...-1.2832889

I have been along that stretch of highway and I can't imagine why the Beaver would want to cross it. The other side is a wall of rock a number of feet high. The water is all on the side of the road where the Beaver was already.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I've also been to that spot, cute video..........
You know that highway. Where could the beaver have been going. There is no other side of the road, unless you are a mountain goat.
Catherine

That's a funny story. I'm glad the beaver was cared about!

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
They would never have let a Beaver come to harm. It is our National Animal and we are very protective of them.
They are a funny creature, but they are intelligent, determined and great engineers. If a Beaver wants a lake it builds a lake, with some sticks and mud. You can walk across the water on a Beaver dam they are so strong.
Catherine

I don't usually hear much about beavers but I think they are real cute!!

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I have had a soft spot for Beavers ever since I was about 3 or 4 and someone bought me a story/picture book about them. What fascinated me most about them was their ability to gnaw down Aspen trees, and the amazing homes they built....dive down through the water, then up again onto dry land beneath the water! That just fascinated me. I got a bit of an ' animal-crush' on Beavers after seeing that book. And the illustrations were life-like and beautiful.
They are an amazing animal.  They build a dam, create a pond and then live in the pond. Their lodges are strong and secure and they can survive a cold Canadian winter.  They store the branches of trees they cut down under the water so they can reach them for food in the winter. There is a lot of planning and organizing going on in a Beaver family.

Beavers are good parents. I once sat in the brush on the banks of a Beaver pond until dusk. I sat very still. The senior male came out and inspected things and I sat VERY STILL. He looked at me, but I was dressed in natural colours and I didn't move, I barely even breathed.   I guess I passed inspection because he went back into the lodge and came back with the rest of the family. I got to see three very young Beaver kits. They are so cute and they swam all over with their little beaver tails moving quickly in the water. They were so funny.
I stayed there until something disturbed them and they all disappeared.  That was almost 40 years ago, but I can still see them in my mind. I got bitten by mosquitoes and my feet were wet, but it was worth it.
Catherine