Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martha and the Muffin
Martha and the Muffin are two female guinea pigs who were left behind when a tenant moved out. The landlord fed them for a few days and then brought them to the reptile centre. They are probably a mother daughter pair. That is the feel I get from their body language. They are not babies and we have no way of knowing their age or their histories.

Muffin is on the left and Martha is on the right

[Image: IMG_1690.JPG]

I figure I can fit in two more piggies.

[Image: IMG_1687.JPG]

I wanted to clean house first.

[Image: IMG_1689.JPG]

Then I put the girls in the enclosure

[Image: IMG_1691.JPG]

Norbert is the timid one so he met them first

[Image: IMG_1692.JPG]

That went well.

[Image: IMG_1693.JPG]

Robbie just ignored them and went to the food dish

[Image: IMG_1695.JPG]

Rosebert just ignored them and went to the food dish

[Image: IMG_1696.JPG]

So far so good.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Norbert and Muffin are both timid so they are drawn to each other.

[Image: IMG_1698.JPG]

Are they cute or what?

[Image: IMG_1703.JPG]

At least Rosebert sees them, Robbie probably not.

[Image: IMG_1700.JPG]

Finally some interaction

[Image: IMG_1705.JPG]

Meet and greet?

[Image: IMG_1706.JPG]

Hello!

[Image: IMG_1707.JPG]

Hi there.

[Image: IMG_1708.JPG]

Muffin really is a little muffin.

[Image: IMG_1709.JPG]

Everything seems fine

[Image: IMG_1710.JPG]

You notice they are all over the enclosure in no particular groupings

[Image: IMG_1714.JPG]

I think Martha is the obvious choice for herd leader.
[Image: IMG_1716.JPG]

That was easier than I expected.

[Image: IMG_1720.JPG]

Robbie worries about Rosebert and really stays close. Rosebert is almost seven.
[Image: IMG_1721.JPG]
I think the girls will be good for my very old boys and I think the boys will make the girls feel secure after their trauma of being abandoned.
Catherine

Sweet pictures! I love all the different colors. Are all of those yours Catherine?

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I am sure Martha and the Muffin will be happy in their new establishment. I love how cool Rosebert and Robbie were....it was like: "Okay girls have arrived, chaps! But we shouldn't let that disturb our dinner time!" (Good lads....got your priorities right!)
Plus it was a bit of "Look at those girls, watching us...if we stay really cool about it and don't go sniffing backsides TOO quickly, they might even fall in love with us!" Smiley4 Heart Smiley52
They are all sweet together. And yes they are all mine. I have two other girls, but I didn't think they would get along with the new girls.
My three boys are part of a bigger herd that started with Pigbert 11 1/2 years ago. Norbert is actually Pigbert's son. I have added new rescues and the herd has kept going. The boys are all very old now. I think the girls will be good for them and the girls will be there when I start to lose the older ones. They should help the remaining boys deal with the loss and of course the herd will go on.
I know Rosebert is failing. He still looks good, but he has trouble walking and he tires easily. I am not going to be surprized when he goes. He is nearly seven.

The girls feel secure with other piggies around and they seem to have forgotten that they were left unfed and abandoned by their people.

Everybody wins in this situation. I think the girls are great. They are wonderful piggies and I am glad I could provide a home for them.
Catherine

Wow, you sure have a house full of pets, don't you? You are doing so well to take care of all of these animals. Bless you Catherine.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Somehow I know how everybody is and know who needs what special treatment. I know who prefers which foods.
I have made a point of taking abandoned or damaged guinea pigs in my area. Pigbert, the first piggie was damaged and couldn't be sold. He needed a special life.

I take the random damaged reptiles when I can. It is strange, but if people do something and their reptile gets hurt or is damaged by malnutrition, they don't want it any more. They don't want to see the results of their failure to provide. An animal like that can't be sold and most people don't want an imperfect pet. I have paralyzed animals and animals with limbs missing. Someone has to take them and I feel that is what I should do. I have enough medical knowledge to cope with their problems.

Abandoned guinea pigs are exactly what I would want to provide a home for. I did think about it for a week and decided that they could live with the boys.
Catherine

What lovely, lucky girls. Your boys will be delighted to have female company.
They've really landed on their feet with you.
It's lovely to have a herd and the girls are lucky to be able to join yours.
They really are beautiful, but then I think all piggies are!!

It seems to take so little to make piggies happy, but still it is beyond some folk!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
That first Sunday night I gave the piggies their dinner, a plate of chopped veggies. The girls were very happy about that and jumped right in their to eat with the boys.   The next morning I presented them with their breakfast, a plate of chopped veggies.
The boys jumped right in there and started eating. The girls just stared at the food. They were not sure what to do. They were not expecting so much food. They couldn't believe they were getting veggies again.

I am beginning to think my piggies are a little spoiled, but why not. What could be more fun that spoiling a bunch of piggies.

They all just fit right in right away. I thought they might. The boys are glad of company. Rosebert is really showing his age.
At nearly seven I know he does not have much time left. This gives Robbie other pigs to focus on. Finally Norbert has someone as shy as he is. It has made him seem more outgoing and I think Muffin feels safer with him because he is a quiet pig.
Martha is clearly the dominant one and the boys are okay with that. It is the first time my herd has had a sow as leader. Frodo was the first herd leader and they all trusted him. Lambert inherited the tittle more because they looked to him, not because he was dominate.   I think Martha has no hesitation about her position as leader.

A few days later it is as if they had been here all along.

The other two girls have never warmed up to snuggles and they are not interested in the other pigs. Maybe I should introduce them to the girls. I will think about it. Maybe Martha would make them feel safe. Even just meeting her might help.
Catherine