Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military dog awarded highest honor
Lucca who served in more than 400 missions in Afghanistan, lost her leg sniffing out a road side bomb. Because of her actions lives were saved. She has been retired with her owner, but has not been forgotten. Her sacrifice and willingness to serve was rewarded when she was given the PDSA Dickin Medal.  It is basically the "Victoria Cross" for animals.

I am glad they honored Lucca. She deserves recognition for what she has done.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

The PDSA Medal is famous.
Since its introduction in 1943, the medal has been awarded to 32 World War II messenger pigeons, 31 dogs, three horses and one cat.
I am very glad they were willing to give a medal to a pigeon. Those birds risked their lives during the war. That should be remembered.

While we are remembering, let us not forget Colonel the Dog. I wonder if we will ever know what happened.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I just saw this on HLN this morning. The dog is honored for his military job, that's very nice. I'm glad so many birds and animals are given recognition this way.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
These military dogs basically enjoy what they do, and are well-loved in their squad. Their skills are valuable, and they have skills no normal soldier has. I always think it is such a shame animals have to go into man-made war zones. I often think of the animals sacrificed during the 1st world war, when many horses and dogs died on the front line.

But blessings to dear Lucca! Heart  Some tough dog to have 400 missons in Afghanistan under her belt (collar!) She deserves her medal. I hope she really enjoys her retirement.

I wonder what the cat did to get the Dickin medal? Does anyone know? Maybe it was a spy. Cats would make good spies Smiley4

I remember Colonel the Dog very often. I was thinking about him yesterday. No, we have not heard a thing, and the petition I organised and presented, was not acknowledged by the MOD or even a polite email received from the Secretary of State for Defence's office. Meanwhile even more signatures trickle in...

I remember Colonel's attitude....he didn't have a clue what the Taliban men were going on about, but looked up as if to say "I shall be very good as I usually am, and I am willing to be friendly, and have a faint hope you will be okay with me, although I am confused and don't know you..." Then he heard another dog bark in the background, and he immediately looked hopeful and happier. Perhaps they kept him as a working dog. I do hope so. Either that, or he was dispatched quickly, and was reunited with his handler on the Other Side. Bless his Soul wherever he is.
He so reminded me of Misty, although he was not the same breed. She was a mutt, he was a Belgian Malinois....his whole demeanour, his body shape, his feet....
Cat wins Dikin Medal:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_%28cat%29

I figure if you want to know Wiki has the answers.

It is sad that animals have died during wars, but at least we acknowledge what they have done. At no point should we take anyone's service for granted. That goes even more so for animals. After all it is our war not theirs.

I still think about Colonel and wonder. Maybe that is what they meant to do, keep us wondering. We can accept loss, it is the not knowing that is hard to take. I just hope he isn't alive living in unhappy circumstances.
Catherine

Thank you so much for that Wiki link Catherine.
Dear little Simon. I can imagine how he raised the morale of the men. Animals have that knack. I think that is one of the reasons they make such bonds with us. They love us and are always willing to companion us through life.

Good cat Simon! I am sorry he didn't live very long, but he did well in his life. His gravestone/memorial is beautiful.

Yes I also hope Colonel is not in an unhappy situation. The Taliban obviously do keep dogs (probably for working purposes) I did not expect that. But during Colonel's video they released, I heard a dog bark in the background (fairly close-range). I also liked the sound of that bark, as it was not a guard-dog's bark, nor was it sad or pitiful, but a general doggy noise with no stress I could hear. Colonel heard it too, and lifted his tail and looked immediately more cheerful.
I learned that under strict Muslim law, people are allowed to touch dogs, but only if they wear certain clothes which they must take off before prayer. Also they must wash thoroughly before prayer after touching a dog.

It's possible that would account for the strange ill-fitting baggy grey cothes these Taliban men were wearing in the video.
It wouldn't be the same sort of life for Colonel of course, and I am sure he wouldn't get affection like he probably was used to. But if there are small kindnesses, food, and somewhere decent to sleep, a dog can get through.
I   find that Wikipedia usually has the basic information about almost any subject. I use them a lot so when they were doing their fundraising, I sent them some money. It is only fair, I use the site for many things.

Simon was a brave cat and he would have helped with rodent problems. Ships can be plagued by rats and mice. I some ways plagued is the right word.
I found a follow up article about the animals that received the Dikin Medal.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I think we will never know about Colonel. We will know it is over when enough time passes that he would have died of old age.

That is the best we are going to get. I am disappointed in the military for not fighting to get him back. There is a chance they know more than they are telling us. Colonel deserves a medal too. His sacrifice should be recognized.
Catherine

7th February 2014, just after the Taliban video was released, there was talk of Colonel getting the Dickin Medal. (the animal VC.)

Quite honestly I am dismayed because a VC is usually bestowed posthumously. Also -what does a medal matter to a dog?? That is just a 'human thing'.
Anyway, at that time, anything could have been garbled, or made up. especially by journalists.....

They said at the time a rescue attempt was "unlikely". Presumably because the MOD couldn't be seen to risk human soldiers' lives in order to rescue a dog:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-raid.html
I think they will not try to rescue a dog because a dog can't be forced to reveal military secrets. Dogs don't have family that can cry in front of the media and they don't have children who can pursue the issue for generations and even sue the government.

Dogs have no one to speak for them and they can't be used in videos to speak for themselves.

If dogs are not going to be protected like a real soldier, then they shouldn't be used like a real soldier.  Too bad the dogs don't know this when they sign up for military service........Wait a minute, dogs don't sign up. They are simply chosen for military service by people, the people who later fail to protect them and rescue them. Angry
Catherine

I think you have it Catherine. Dos are given medals. They have special skills. They are good at what they do,and a member of the Team. They are even given ranks....usually higher than the soldiers handling them. But for them, it is a 'deniable mission'. Get captured, and you're on your own.
It is pretty sad when your own country lets you down like that.  Human soldiers take note. If you are lower rank and therefore "less valuable" you might get the same treatment.

I do not have a problem with humans having working animals, especially dogs. Dogs seem to want to serve. I do have a problem with how we treat animals when their service is ended. They have to retire, comfortably, any research primates. Seeing eye dogs get retied well. (I believe)  I am not so sure about the other animals that serve us.  Our own sense of integrity should require that we treat well any animal (or human) that gives service. Sadly there are many who lack this integrity.

It is worse when it is a whole country/military that fails its soldier dogs.
Catherine