Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baby bison dies after tourists "help it"
This is so sad.  A rather silly tourist took a very young baby bison from its mother and put it in his vehicle and drove it to the ranger's station because he thought it was cold.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...CbJ5uZ2TVw

The little one couldn't be reunited with its mother and ended up being euthanized.

Why would any one think a bison is cold. They live outside all winter on the prairies. Calves are born outside in the cold. They have thick wooly coats and a mom to keep them warm.

The man will be fined, but it doesn't bring back the baby or reunite it with its mom.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is a sad story, people mean well, but should leave wild life alone.
Yes this is very sad. I am sorry they couldn't re-unite the baby with its mother.
The report said the baby kept trying to approach humans and run after vehicles, when they tried to take it back to the herd and failed.
Now why couldn't someone have hand-reared it under those awful circumstances, instead of having to euthanise it? Surely some wildlife rescue could have helped it?
I don't know why they couldn't have saved the baby.  There are herds of farm raised Bison. Surely some place could have taken it. Some zoos even have herds of Bison.  There would be a lot of problems moving him because they would need permits and stuff, but I think they could have done it if they wanted to.

I just can't believe anyone was so stupid as to "rescue" a wild baby from its mother. Of course it was a tourist and tourists have done many stupid things over the years.
Catherine

It's also a sad thing that these people meant well, and they must feel inconsolable about the fate of the little Bison. They were genuinely trying to help it, but had got it all wrong. They thought they were 'rescuing' it!

In another thread we discuss how empathy for animals is increasing, and I think that's true. Plus there are many animal rescue stories and videos around. So these people -with NO education about wildlife, decided the baby needed their 'help'.

It is so important, to educate ourselves about animals' needs, and especially animals we may encounter in the wild.

Baby deer, as an example, often get left in long grass alone while the mother forages or food. But she always comes back. No-one should ever think a baby deer alone needs any kind of help, and should stay away from it, or it will be rejected by her.
Birds that fall out of nests....if they look healthy, not injured, they shouldn't be touched either. The parents know where that baby is, and will carry on feeding it and guarding it.
There are lots more examples....

What those people should have done if they were concerned about the little Bison, is call the Park Ranger, or the Ranger Station for advice. Or educate themselves a bit before they go, about the kind of wildlife they are going to see.
Or maybe there should also be information posts along the most popular hiking trails, to let people know about those things...?

And quite honestly, no-one should go into a big National Park without having the number of the Ranger Station. If there's a bad phone signal, they should drive there to make enquiries.
I agree totally.
Bison should not be approached anyhow. There are lots of signs telling people to leave them alone and never to approach them. They are really big and they can be unpredictable.

Most people who travel do not look up the dangers of an area they are visiting. They were lucky the herd didn't turn on them.  I am not sure how they got a baby away from its mother.

You are right about fawns and baby birds. The same is true of baby rabbits. There must be times when the baby bunnies are alone and that is how it needs to be. Mom has to eat some time.

If you think something needs rescuing it is better to call an experienced person.
Catherine