Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buenos Aires Zoo plans to free its animals
The Buenos Aires Zoo is closing as a zoo and plans to relocate its animals to sanctuaries. The zoo has been criticized for how it keeps its animals. It will stop keeping animals in cages and will reopen as an ecopark.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

This shows a real change in thinking about how we treat animals. Many of the zoo animals can't be freed, but they can live in more natural settings. I think the days of animals in small cages in small "zoos" are finally coming to an end.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Another great find, Catherine! How do you find all these articles?

This news from Argentina will, I hope, be noted and copied elsewhere. I suspect that the moving force behind this game-changing move is the mayor of the city, who said (from your article):
"This situation of captivity is degrading for the animals, it's not the way to take care of them," Buenos Aires mayor Horacio Rodríguez Larreta said at a press conference, adding: "What we have to value is the animals. The way they live here is definitely not the way to do that."

According to Wikipedia, he is "Head of Government of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires". That authority may have made it easier for him to push this through.
Thank goodness for people like Mr Larreta. I would certainly vote for him!
I scan lots of articles to find one like this.

It is important that they are closing the zoo in favour of an eco park. It is wonderful to hear that they want the animals to go to sanctuaries.

The Mayor is a truly enlightened man. His attitude towards animals is enlightened and forward thinking. He is seeing a world where animals are treated as they should be. I wonder what his city is like in other ways?
Catherine

That's great news! Big Grin
It seems that all the old style zoos are closing down. This is a big step forward in animal rights. No one wants to see animals  kept is terrible conditions.
Catherine