Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals and the Tour de France
I never thought about the possibility of animals getting in the way of a bike race.
It seems there is quite a history of animals and the most famous bike race.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I can't believe the dog wasn't hurt. He was really lucky.
The Llamas are pretty funny just sitting there. You do have to wonder if they like bike races.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Interesting article. But this part I can't understand:

"In reality, an area campsite operator had purchased the llamas for his campsite in La Mongie, a village located below the Col du Tourmalet. The operator planned to use the llamas as groundskeepers, allowing them to graze freely at the campsite during the winter. But, due to legal restrictions around French llama possession, the owner had to find alternate housing for the llamas during summer, and made arrangements for them to graze amongst other livestock on the Col du Tourmalet from May to October each year."

I don't know of any legal restrictions around llama possession in France, which would mean that they have to be set loose on to public roads in the summer. That would seem a danger to humans and animals; action should be taken against the "operator". There are some regulations about identification and hygiene/care, but nothing which says this person must set them loose on the roads in the summer. To be blunt, the idea is both ridiculous and dangerous. Bicycles are one thing - but what about speeding cars? The llamas should be kept safe in a large, enclosed field.
I totally agree LPC. All animals should be kept well away from road traffic, bicycles or cars. Occasionally, accidents happen, as I had to round up 13 cows who escaped from a nearby field recently at 9 o clock at night, and were happily trundling down the lane! But a quick fix with a hosepipe to make a barrier across the lane (no rope on hand!) and one call to the farmer sorted them out.
No farmer with any common sense wants his/her animals wandering on a road!
It did seem odd to me that there were so many animal incidents.  Why would there be a dog loose on the track. The cyclist could have been killed.

The whole Llamas thing made no sense. They certainly should not be able to lie around on roadways.

Good cow catching. I guess anything works as a fence when you need one. I bet the farmer was glad to hear that you contained his cows so he could claim them safely.

No one wants their animals out where they can get hurt.
Catherine

I can't believe people would let all sorts of animals including dogs on the Tour de France track! What is the matter with those people? Animals....people....could all have been seriously injured or killed.
It would be different had they been wild animals such as deer or rabbits. They go where they wish and it is hard to provide any barriers.

Cows will stop even at a piece of thin string stretched out across the road! But I didn't have any string with me either. The best improvisation was the neighbour's hose-pipe! I think those cows enjoyed their adventure. They were back in the field by ten o'clock, happily munching away.
People seem very careless about roadways, especially when there is a famous race taking place. I am surprized that no one gets killed.

I didn't know that about cows. I would have expected them to be hard to contain. They certainly will go through a broken fence fast enough. Cows like a little fun just like the rest of us. How hard were they to actually round up and send home?
Catherine

Yes cows like a little fun and can be a bit mischievous.

But I blocked them with the hosepipe stretched between the chicken farm gate, and a neighbouring sapling. They took heed at that and re-directed their adventures into the field behind the chicken farm, where they frolicked about.

The farmer turned up as it was getting dark, and herded them all back down the lane to their original field half a mile away. They all take off running if a Quad bike or a Landrover is rounding them up. They don't look in any way unhappy about it. It seems it is all part of the adventure. Smiley4
I get the impression that cows can be very funny. They got out and then they hung around where they would be caught. I think the like the chase.

Good thing you knew what to do.
Catherine