Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bumbble Bee Census
I am glad to hear they are doing this census in Ottawa, and that they have in mind to protect the Bumble bee too.

I have noticed a lot where I live. But of course, have no way of truly knowing if the population has decined over the years or not. I observed that these bees make holes in the ground to their hive which is underground (well they do here.) Last year I put up a woven green bamboo fence. Suddenly I noticed two or three confused Bumble bees at the base of it! They tried to struggle through the weave to get in and out. I was so sorry, and opened up the weave about a foot off the ground. They accepted that design, and after getting used to a slightly new flight-path, were quite happy going in and out to get to their ground-hole.

I am wondering if developments which concrete over natural earth may discourage them? Some bees however, will use gaps in stonework to enter wall-cavities or natural spaces between stones especially in old buildings, etc

Bumble bees like Dandelions, Forget-me-nots, Clover, Herb Robert....and lots of other flowers which, when examined, have lots of tiny areas to collect nectar, rather than just one large one. But I have also seen them enjoying Fuchsia flowers. But it's true, it is good to plant something (or allow a weed to grow) which is native to the area.

Messages In This Thread
Bumbble Bee Census - by Catherine - 07-26-2016, 02:54 PM
RE: Bumbble Bee Census - by Tobi - 07-27-2016, 09:16 AM
RE: Bumbble Bee Census - by Catherine - 07-27-2016, 03:32 PM
RE: Bumbble Bee Census - by Tobi - 07-30-2016, 08:28 AM
RE: Bumbble Bee Census - by Catherine - 07-30-2016, 03:58 PM