Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meet Forgy!
This is Forgy on his second day with us, having arrived from a dog refuge (shelter). He had previously been a stray for some while, then spent three months in a shelter before we found him. He has settled in so well and already has his European passport. (Click on image to enlarge).

Dear Forgy! Bless you little feller. I know you are going to have a good life with Peter and Tamara!

I hope you don't bite the post-man because he might have a surprise for you very soon..... Smiley16 

Forgy is such a lovely looking boy. He almost looks like a little lamb. He has a nice face.
I was thinking he looks like a little sheep. Forgy is delightful and after a time of wandering he has finally come home.  I am sure you will be very happy together. He does look like a good natured fellow.

Dogs need a European passport? I have never heard of such a thing. Does it make it easier to cross boarders?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(07-28-2016, 02:57 PM)Catherine Wrote: Dogs need a European passport? I have never heard of such a thing. Does it make it easier to cross boarders?

A passport is not obligatory, although microchipping is required by law here in France (also in the UK from this year). However, having a passport is very useful, as it means that he can travel with us to the UK with a minimum of formality (just a tapeworm treatment given by a vet and recorded in the passport). This is because the UK is a rabies free country.

Having a passport is "just in case" we have to go there one day in an emergency. As my mother is 92, we can't go there for routine visits.

Thank you both for your kind comments. Tobi: Forgy is more likely to attack the postman with licks!
Compulsory microchipping is not such a bad idea. It might cut down on the numbers of dogs and cats in shelters. Some are there simply because they have no ID. And somewhere, maybe a hundred miles away or more, may be people who never found their dog. Of course, many will still be there because their people simply didn't care, or abandoned them.
It will be harder to just abandon a dog once the details are on a microchip. If there is animal cruelty involved, it will be easier to trace previous owners for prosecution.

At least....maybe. Unless there is a device which can completely wipe microchip details....

Don't lick the post-man too hard, Forgy! He might fall over on the ground laughing because he is being tickled! 85 He has a job to do.....delivering things .........haha! 32
I didn`t realize that dogs could travel to the UK. It would be good if you could just go if you need to. It is always good to be prepared.

Forgy is a fine looking dog and I am sure he will behave as needed with the postman.

I don`t think there is a way to wipe a micro chip. They seem to last for years. Some people have gotten lost pets back 10 years later.
They even microchip birds like parrots and cockatoos. They can travel a long way if they get lost and a microchip would be the only way to get them back.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

He's gorgeous I'm sure it's mutual admiration between you all.
Thank you all!
I imagine Forgy is very glad to be with you both, and settling down a bit now to his new life. I bet he is very grateful to have a lovely home after wandering for all those months on his own. I wonder how he got by? Maybe people gave him bits of food here and there. But he must have been hungry with no real safe place to sleep, and constantly on watch for food.
Three months doesn't sound long to us, but if one of us had to survive outside without breakfast and dinner at the same time every day, and trying to find shelter for each night, it would seem like a long time.

I know he's going to be very happy.

Has he been introduced to Denis and Jeanne yet? (The Alpacas)
Yes, he has seen Denny and Jenny (as we now call them for short). He looked at them curiously, but didn't bark. The alpacas were scared at first, but are now used to him and come up to the fencing to look at him closely (alpacas are very inquisitive creatures).

He was in the shelter for three months, but we don't know how long he was a stray before. It could have been a few days, maybe a few weeks. He was found by someone and taken to the shelter.

They told me that he was very thin on arrival (only 6 kilos), but has now reached 8 kilos. Today we took him with us to the restaurant in our village. Fortunately in the countryside they are less strict and allowed him to come with us. He stayed quietly by the table and behaved perfectly. My mother, who likes fish, saved some of it for him. So he had a little skate, beans and chips ("fries" for American speakers) when he got home. He deserves a few treats after what he went through.