Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man hunts bear with spear and leaves it to die slowly.
Our bear baiting is cruel and deceptive.  In the spring they put out food where a bear can find it. In the spring our bears are very hungry after a long hibernation. The mothers have given birth and are feeding cubs so it is critical that they eat right away.
The hunters wait and when the hungry bear comes they shoot it. They are not supposed to kill females, but of course it does happen. The cubs then starve to death when the mother does not return.

Is that worse than your bear baiting. In some ways it is. It uses the bear's post hibernation need for food to lure it to its death.

The spear hunter also put out a bear bait. He is no hunter, just a common killer of animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(08-21-2016, 04:08 PM)Catherin Wrote: He is no hunter, just a common killer of animals.

Or even, not a common killer of animals, but a cruel killer of animals, who allowed his victim to die slowly and painfully.
Good point. He knew the wounded bear was out there and he did nothing to stop his suffering. He made no plans to deal with the animal if the spear just wounded him. It was a fatal wound, but still a wound that killed slowly. He was proud and boasting when what he did was an act of cruelty.

How was he able to get a permit for a hunt like that? I think Alberta does not have a law that says you can't kill a bear with a spear. I think that is because they didn't expect anyone to do it. They should have that law changed soon.

Canada needs to strengthen its animal cruelty laws. There is a new law being debated, but I think it is having trouble because hunters want to protect their rights. There is also some concern about the rights of slaughterhouses.

I am going to post some of the debate.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...EiwBmex8aw

I find it troubling that a member of parliament would worry about the phrase that refers to an animal being killed brutally or viciously and be concerned that it would cause problems for our slaughterhouses. It sounds like she wants slaughterhouses exempted so they can use brutal and vicious methods if they want. (she is from Alberta where the bear hunt took place)

The debate is troubling and the fact that the bill could well fail is  very disturbing.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine