Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thousands of animals sacrificed for Eid
I don't even know what to say about it. I am stunned that there are still religious festivals that involve sacrificing animals.
In one city alone 100,000 animals were killed.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

There are some more graphic pictures so be warned before you look.

Not everyone agrees with the killing.

It seems this is yet another event where people cling to older more brutal ways. We could be a kinder more gentle species, but we are not ready to do it. We still do things that should shock and repulse us.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

In the second article you cited, there is a picture showing children watching whilst an animal is slaughtered. Their parents, apparently occupied with the slaughtering, clearly have permitted, maybe even encouraged, their children to watch.

That is the way that children are desensitised to such violent bloody scenes of pain and torture. They will grow up having the same primitive urges to slaughter innocent animals.

The last article certainly shows that there are kind and compassionate Muslims, who care about animal welfare and want to replace the annual blood bath with acts of real devotion (giving to the poor, etc.). However, they are greatly in the minority and are even struggling to get their voice heard against the hardliners.
(09-15-2016, 06:06 PM)LPC Wrote: The last article certainly shows that there are kind and compassionate Muslims, who care about animal welfare and want to replace the annual blood bath with acts of real devotion (giving to the poor, etc.). However, they are greatly in the minority and are even struggling to get their voice heard against the hardliners.
This is very sad. But I hope those people will not give up trying.
In the end the kinder way will prevail, but it will take years. We just have to be supportive of the people who want change and we have to work to educate those who are caught in the old ways. The children may be exposed to the violence and in some way desensitized to it. They also may be sickened by it. There are other influences in their lives. People who respect animals need to work hard to get the message across to those who don't.

Towns and cities that have centuries old traditions of slaughter are not going to change easily. However as people move around the world and live in places where slaughter in the streets is not tolerated, they will be changed by their surroundings. Hopefully that change will find its way back to the more traditional areas. I wish the change could come quickly, but every year we do make progress. This year I found the article that does not support the slaughter and does encourage other forms of sacrifice.

I don't think the articles with pictures of blood in the streets are pro-sacrifice articles either.

I think we are fighting a battle against older more brutal ways. The whole world is trying to be kinder and gentler. It will take a lot of us living kinder lives to change the world, but I think it will happen.

If a bee can wear a hole in rock to make a nest then anything is possible.
Catherine

(09-16-2016, 02:09 PM)Catherine Wrote: I think we are fighting a battle against older more brutal ways. The whole world is trying to be kinder and gentler. It will take a lot of us living kinder lives to change the world, but I think it will happen.

If a bee can wear a hole in rock to make a nest then anything is possible.

Like button
I think all of us caring people are the power behind the changes that we see happening.

All our "likes" carry weight when they are added together. Social media is a powerful force that the world has never seen before. We can communicate and get the message out and let people know how we feel. Enough people were against Gadhimai and change happened. This is bigger and more deeply ingrained, but water washes away rock one drop at a time. We are the drops wearing away at cruelties and brutality that belong in the dust bin of history.

We will prevail. Goodness and kindness will prevail.
Catherine