Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Herriot born 100 years ago
The much loved author James Herriot was born 100 years ago on Oct 3, 1916. (so finally I am early for something)

There is no doubt that his books inspired a love of animals in many people. He showed us their personalities and detailed their lives. He made animals real to people who perhaps had never seen them that way before. Also his dedication as a vet was inspiring in so many ways.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I have read the stories so many times. They never get old. I love the humour and sensitivity and I really think I am due to read them again.

If any of you have missed these books I highly recommend them. You will laugh and cry and you will come to love the various animal and people characters. Thank-you James for the wonderful gift of your books.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Goodness me! Time flies! 100 years ago....wow.

I absolutely loved his books. I read them as a teenager, and especially liked the TV series "All Creatures Great and Small". That whole series is worth a watch if it can be obtained on DVD or maybe on Netflix or somewhere.
The videos were still playing quite happily on YouTube in 2012-2013. All of the series, and episodes, and I watched them all. Second time around, as I first remember them on TV many years ago.
But then of course, they disappeared from YouTube pretty snappish. Most really brilliant things do.... Undecided
I have read all the books many times over and I will probably read them again. I never tire of the stories and the wonderful personalities. I have seen some of the TV series, but I am sure I have only see a portion of it.

I can't find it on Netflix, but I am sure it is out there in the internet somewhere.

He just had such a way of making his stories real. I always felt like I was right there watching as a calf was born. I almost feel like I know the countryside just from his descriptions.

We are so fortunate to have lived when and where his books were available. No doubt they will replay and republish his works to celebrate the anniversary.
Catherine

A fan has fortunately put almost all the series back on YouTube. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGyfFCWd...2JUYXmA0Gq

Enjoy!
Oh great! Thank you very much LPC! I think I will watch one right now, while I have my dinner!

The countryside in the series is very beautiful. It is the Yorkshire Dales, I believe. It can be a hard living for a farmer up there, and quite severe weather in the winter, but a very beautiful place indeed. A few good Border Collies, of course, make life easier for those farmers!
Thank-you LPC. I have only seen a few of the episodes and I couldn't find them on Netflix. I am going to celebrate James Herriot's birthday by watching them.

Just thinking back and remembering the stories makes me laugh. There were so many happy and sad tales.  I shall enjoy the scenery when I watch the TV series. I love books, but there are good points to watching a story.
Catherine