Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fate of rescued fighting dogs uncertain
Another dog fighting ring has been raided and twenty-one dogs "rescued". Unfortunately the OSPCA has petitioned to have all the dogs euthanized. They are not even considering helping the dogs even though there are groups willing to take them on and rehabilitate them.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

The OSPCA is not even considering having the dogs assessed by anyone other than their "expert". I can understand that the OSPCA can't take on the dogs and work with them. They are not set up for that kind of rescue. However there are groups willing to take responsibility  and cover the costs. They should at least give the dogs a chance. Some may be so damaged that they can't live normal lives, but to condemn them all with out even trying is seems to go against what the OSPCA should stand for.

They have not even proved in court that they were fighting dogs. These dogs are right now in the most danger from those who supposedly rescued them. How bizarre is that.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

With rescue groups willing to take on the responsibility and cover the costs then if those dogs are killed it is unforgivable that the OSPCA would let that happen! Sometimes I have to admit these 'rules and regulations' people come up with are crazy, stupid, and robotic.
How can they let them be euthanised when the responsibilty would even be willingly taken off their hands? Because they are "just dogs" ??
Quote:With rescue groups willing to take on the responsibility and cover the costs then if those dogs are killed it is unforgivable that the OSPCA would let that happen! Sometimes I have to admit these 'rules and regulations' people come up with are crazy, stupid, and robotic.
They need to start thinking with their hearts and remember why the OSPCA was founded in the first place. It may be that some of the dogs are so damaged that they can't be helped. It just isn't fair to deny them a chance at life. Why rescue them I  the first place?
Of course they were not so much rescued as they were taken into custody as evidence against those who ran the dog fighting ring. I suppose the only reason that they are still alive is because the court case isn't over so technically they are "evidence", not dogs.

The OSPCA has lost its centre, its reason for being. They still do a lot of good things because they still have good people working for them. However the agency itself has lost its way. It forgets that the animals come first. Euthanasia is the gift of a merciful death to an animal that is suffering. It is not supposed to be an easy solution to inconvenient animals. These dogs are not unwanted so that cannot be a justification for killing them.
Catherine

I suspect that the OSPCA is seeking to put all the stress on how dangerous the dogs are, in order to strengthen their case against the dog fight organisers. But that means they are putting short term, tactical and legal concerns above animal welfare. Animal welfare should be their concern. A sad story, indeed.
They have a good lawyer fighting for them so the dogs have a chance. There are people keeping the issue public so the dogs can't just disappear without anyone noticing.

I will post more when I hear anything.
Catherine