Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baby Orangutan chained to a wall for a year
The good news is that he has been rescued and now has the hope of a good life.

A poacher killed his mother and gave him to a friend who chained him to a wall between to houses. The picture will break your heart. He lived there alone on hard stones, no room to move, poorly fed for a year.
It is fortunate that there are rescue groups looking out for things like this.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...77fkWBR9Qg

This article has good pictures.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...uchmRRBtOw

Since it is illegal to keep an orangutan like that of course he has been removed and taken to a sanctuary. I am not sure that I agree with the idea of no charges against anyone in this case. Maybe the guy should do community service at a shelter and see how orangutans should be cared for.

No baby orangutan should ever be orphaned like that. No baby orangutan should ever be kept as a pet. Having kept the baby orangutan as a pet the man did a very poor job of caring for him. He wouldn't be allowed to keep a dog that way.
A Year!  Why did no one report him. Other people knew about it. WHY! Why would they let it go on so long. Did nobody care enough to help a baby who was suffering.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I'm sorry to have missed this thread before.  It is strange to think the baby Orangutan could be kept like that for a year and NOBODY knows??

Poor little thing. Not only did it have to witness the brutal killing of its mother, but then to be taken to live like that....

I agree with you Catherine. It may be more helpful i that man did at least 6 months (more?) service working with Orangutans, under tight supervision. People sometimes do these things out of harshness and cruelty, and sometimes they do them out of sheer ignorance.

However you'd think that it would have been obvious to them that it was a mean and awful existence for any animal. To not be able to see that is very cold hearted.
You wouldn't keep a dog like that. Why would you keep a baby orangutan like that. Did no one ever look at the frightened lonely baby that he was and say this is wrong.

People can be cruel and heartless. This one is the saddest I have ever heard. I just hope they can  give the little guy a happy new life. Maybe someday he can go back to the wild. if not he can live in a place where he is cared for and has what he needs to be well and happy.
I hope his growth isn't stunted. Orangutans nurse for years. He went all that time with out proper food.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine