Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beautiful pictures of rescued lab animals
These are charming pictures. The photographer has made the animals look like the heroes of fairytales. Since they all used to be lab animals I think the idea is fitting.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

It is good to know that some lab animals get to live Happily Ever After. Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Good find, Catherine. Delightful photos and that lady who helps that charity deserves lots of good karma for all she does.

It is great that these ex-lab animals were allowed to be saved. Sadly, in many countries all lab animals are routinely killed at the end of an experiment, even if they did not have any reactions at all and are in perfect health. Here is an example from a pro-experimentation website, where it is openly admitted that animals are routinely killed after being used (even if in good health) and that they are not given for adoption:
http://www.aboutanimaltesting.co.uk/what...sting.html

So that makes the Italians way ahead of the UK.
How sweet these animals all are. To think of how they were treated before their rescues..well...it's hard to think about. I'm so glad they are now in better hands in these story photos. They have always deserved to be treated well.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
What beautiful pictures. And what a good idea to make a calendar with them. Hopefully sales of the calendar will help to make a little money for the rescue.

Bless all these lovely little creatures, and bless those who rescued them. They all look very well, and that is good.
If only the UK could do the same....
"A common misconception about animals after testing is that they can simply be released into the wild or adopted. For a variety of reasons, this would be far less humane than killing the animals. For instance, there are strict laws and regulations controlling the release of animals into the wild. When it comes to the idea of adoption, animals used for testing would not be able to cope with the home environment. Most animals used for testing are bred specifically for that purpose. Also, the injuries sustained from testing would make it unrealistic for them to be placed in a home."

Realistically lab animals cannot be released to the wild. They would not do well. However it is wrong to say that they would not do well in a loving home environment. They have never been given a chance.  It makes the researchers feel better about killing the animals if they can say that they wouldn't work out anywhere else. I am sure most lab guinea pigs would be happy to try life at my place with its piggie room service, unlimited supply of hay and pellets and spacious accommodations.

We owe them a chance at a happy, pain/fear free life.

If a researcher cannot provide for his animals after he is done with them, then he shouldn't be allowed to use animals at all.
I think they shouldn't be using animals anyhow.

The issue is money. Killing an animal is cheep. Providing for it for the rest of its life  costs money. They want the cheep alternative.
Catherine

I agree about the money aspect: money is much more important than saving animals (in their warped priorities). In addition, in the case of the UK researchers whose site I listed and the quote you gave, I suspect that they have a second reason for these lame excuses for not even trying to rehome lab animals after use: time. They just can't be bothered to spend time seeking good homes for their discarded animals. It is so much quicker for them just to gas the whole lot and get on with their work. Their excuses may fool some people, but they won't fool everyone, who will see their excuses as just that: excuses, not real reasons.

As your original article about lab pets in Italy shows, it CAN be done - and done very successfully. UK researchers just can't be bothered.

(PS: Catherine, sorry to have deviated from the original purpose of your thread!)
(11-20-2016, 05:07 PM)Catherine Wrote: Realistically lab animals cannot be released to the wild. They would not do well. However it is wrong to say that they would not do well in a loving home environment. They have never been given a chance.  It makes the researchers feel better about killing the animals if they can say that they wouldn't work out anywhere else. I am sure most lab guinea pigs would be happy to try life at my place with its piggie room service, unlimited supply of hay and pellets and spacious accommodations.

I agree wholeheartedly! Most creatures, no matter their past traumas, are capable of responding to an understanding and loving environment. They may always be 'special needs' companions, but with an experienced sensitive person they could live happy lives.
Quote:(PS: Catherine, sorry to have deviated from the original purpose of your thread!)
I think you caught my purpose perfectly. I love the cute little pictures, but remember what I said in the first post.

Quote:It is good to know that some lab animals get to live Happily Ever After. [Image: heart.gif]
I said some lab animals get to live  happily ever after.

What about the rest of the lab animals? If some can be rehomed then they all can be rehomed.
There should be farm sanctuaries for the farm animals used in labs and there should be a network set up to find homes for the smaller animals.

I bet if they had to provide for former lab animals they would suddenly find it is easier to use alternative cruelty free methods.

All the protesting in the world won't stop labs from doing animal testing. Making them pay for the care of former lab animals will change the whole picture. The won't want to spend the money. You want to stop something, make it unprofitable.
Catherine

What is recently happening in Korea re:animal cruelty awareness is as a result -I am sure- of Western public pressure, as the news was posted on an update to a petition. Okay they have not gone 'all the way' yet, but those changes are a start.

I also don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but the thread about Korea illustrates the way public pressure worldwide can -and does -bring about changes. We have to keep the pressure on, regarding anything unfair, heartless, cruel, or careless regarding animal welfare. The fate of ex-Lab animals is included.

I get the feeling (based on what LPC said) that these little creatures have so far been treated as "just Rats" Just Mice" "Just Rabbits" etc and expendable, almost like items to be got out of the way in a tidy-up. We have to respect every single creature as a Being worthy of care and attention, no matter its size, no matter its species.