Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetarian food bank
There is a vegetarian food bank in Toronto and they just served their 50,000 th client.
It is good to know that even people who are having financial troubles can still keep their principles and ideals.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

It is really significant that there is a vegetarian food bank. It is sad that there are food banks. If there have to be food banks at least people are being offered a choice. This is a real sign that increasing numbers of people are not eating meat. For some it is a health issue, but for many, it is because they don't believe in eating meat.
Ethical, animal friendly choices are becoming more common. This is a good sign.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Good for Toronto! I hope that the idea spreads to many other cities.
Toronto is very forward thinking.
There are also a lot of vegetarians and vegans living in Toronto. There is a big vegetarian food fair every year. I can get vegan products at my local grocery store. 

Now I just have to learn to cook and eat differently. It is a work in progress, but if I ever needed a food bank there is one there for me. If I want to make a food bank donation I should see about donating to this one. They are still new and need the help.
Catherine

This is a very good option for veggie people! I wish they had this in my area. I am not totally vegetarian now but much of the time. I still do care about the animals.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
It's good to see there is a veggie food bank! And that veganism/vegetarianism is a popular choice in Toronto.

I think there may be many of us who have items we could donate to a food bank. Somewhere at the back of a cupboard is something we have too many packets of....or we don't really like very much...or we never got time to use.
I have two huge jars of pickles! Given to me by someone. Pickled cabbage and onions. I can't stand pickles, and all that vinegar, but people who like them -love them!
There is a food bank collection point at my local supermarket. Next time I go there I shall take the pickles, and maybe a couple of other items too.
In Toronto vegetarianism is seen as a normal choice. Many people even understand what the word vegan means. I think that we have such a big population that it is easy to find a group of like mined people. The vegetarian option is becoming popular.  There are whole restaurants that serve only vegetarian or vegan options. Most restaurants have a vegetarian option. The meals are often not balanced in a regular restaurant, but they are trying.

Most of us can give something to a food drive. I don't usually eat pickles either. I do like pickled beets, but not enough to want a whole jar in my frig.  I always have spare cans of stuff I can give away.
Some places will have a free event. All you have to do is bring something for the food bank to get in.

If they have a food drive for the vegetarian food bank I have things I can donate.
Catherine