Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walk to raise awareness about pets and family violence
This is such a sad issue. When there is family violence the family pets are vulnerable and they are there being traumatized by what is happening. Pets are used to keep someone from fleeing violence. Women won't leave if they can't find a way to keep the pet safe. Few shelters will take a family and their pets.  Only a few animal shelters will take a pet temporarily for a person fleeing family violence.
Holding a walk to bring this issue to the public is a good thing. We need more walks like this.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

Hopefully some day there will be provisions for pets in a family violence situation and help for them to get over the trauma they have witnessed.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is an important issue I was not aware of until now. They must start to make some kinds of provisions for dogs and cats and other critters that come from domestic violence households. It's good they are beginning to make people aware of this issue now.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I am very glad to hear about this. It is quite an issue. Animals often don't get the same consideration as children. But they are just as sensitive to situations of domestic abuse or violence. Animals are deeply terrified by violent situations.

Shelters for women fleeing violence should definitely take into account a pet's needs. I can imagine not wanting to leave a violent home life for the sake of the animal. So many violent people will also 'take it out' on a family pet, so they feel they need to be there to protect it.

I actually know someone who had this situation a couple of years back. She had three dogs and a cat. Her husband was dangerous and unpredictable. The best I could do was give her some moral support. It is a long story which I won't talk about here, but it all worked out and she moved house, got a divorce, and got to keep the animals. But it was a very difficult situation. It needed a lot of subterfuge and careful planning.
I am glad your friend's situation worked out.

The outcome is not always good. The abuser threatens the pets if the person tries to leave. If they leave the pet behind it can be very bad. Sometimes the animal is abused as  an act of revenge. Sometimes the animal is abused as a threat to the abused spouse. Abuser are not stupid. They can get away with hurting a pet better than they can get away with hurting a child.

The need to protect a pet can keep someone in an abusive situation long after the danger has become critical.

You are right Ruth, it is time shelters helped women(or men) escape abuse and still protect their pets. No one should have to leave a pet behind or stay at the risk of personal safety. Once someone becomes abusive, no one is safe.

I hope this is an issue that we all become aware of because it is so important.

I can't imagine what a gentle little pet must feel when he sees his loving owner being abused. There must be so much fear and anxiety. Pets suffer trauma just as much as we do.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine