Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walk to raise awareness about pets and family violence
I am very glad to hear about this. It is quite an issue. Animals often don't get the same consideration as children. But they are just as sensitive to situations of domestic abuse or violence. Animals are deeply terrified by violent situations.

Shelters for women fleeing violence should definitely take into account a pet's needs. I can imagine not wanting to leave a violent home life for the sake of the animal. So many violent people will also 'take it out' on a family pet, so they feel they need to be there to protect it.

I actually know someone who had this situation a couple of years back. She had three dogs and a cat. Her husband was dangerous and unpredictable. The best I could do was give her some moral support. It is a long story which I won't talk about here, but it all worked out and she moved house, got a divorce, and got to keep the animals. But it was a very difficult situation. It needed a lot of subterfuge and careful planning.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Walk to raise awareness about pets and family violence - by Tobi - 11-30-2016, 02:53 AM