Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grooming neglect horror stories
People forget how important proper grooming can be. A number of the animals in the pictures could be saved and a good grooming made their lives so much better.
Sadly in some cases the damage from neglect was so great  the animals had to be euthanized.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

It seems like such a little thing, brushing your pet and cutting their nails, but in some cases, failing to do it can be fatal. It is not such a little thing is it.

If you fail to "groom" a snake, which involves keeping  an eye on its shedding, it can be damaging, even fatal. All lout pets need personal care. I call it a spa day and try to make it fun for my pets and myself. It is to important to neglect if I want my pets to be healthy and happy.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What those poor dogs and cats must have suffered...!
These cases truly are among the most horrific I have ever seen.
Everyone does need to keep a careful watch on -particularly -dental conditions. It can be hard to take a look inside a dog's or cat's mouth, but it should be done regularly.

Nail trimming can be done at home. It's just a part of regular maintenance. If anyone is in doubt about how to do it safely, make an appointment with the vet, get him/her to show you and advise....and after that nail trimming need cost nothing!

Brushing a long haired animal has to be done at least once a day. That's what has to be understood before adopting a long haired breed.
What some people don't know about -but I have seen in 'real life' -is a nest of squirming fleas tucked inside these 'dreadlocks'. And maggots too. Who would want that on their animal? Or in their bedding or house? So daily brushing is the easiest option.
Why would someone get a long haired animal if they are not going to look after it. Those animals were all neglected for a long time. It is unthinkable that animals lost their lives because of a lack of grooming. That is extreme bad pet ownership. Did these people have no family or friends to tell them they need to get their pet cared for.
Catherine

I know....it is hard to comprehend.

I can kind of understand the elderly man who couldn't -apparently -even look after himself. But how hard can it be to get the cat on your lap, and use a brush? That isn't like walking around the block. It takes very little energy....unless the man had cognitive difficulties.

The other cats and dogs....goodness knows why their people let them get into that condition! The poor little girl with the completely rotted mouth is so very sad indeed. She wil be better off out of this world and away from the intense pain she must have known for a long time.
Quote:I can kind of understand the elderly man who couldn't -apparently -even look after himself. But how hard can it be to get the cat on your lap, and use a brush? That isn't like walking around the block. It takes very little energy....unless the man had cognitive difficulties.
I suspect cognitive difficulties when some of the seniors failed to groom their pets. What about their families? Of course you should see the condition they let people's homes get into.

Not all those pets belonged to people who couldn't care for them, they were people who didn't care for them.
How could they get so bad and no one did anything to help.

I think we should help other people with their pets. Over the years I have groomed pets for the seniors I work with. It isn't that hard to be aware of the animals around us. Not all people can look after their pets without help.
Catherine