Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The circus is closing!
Ringling Bros. circus is closing after 146 years.  That means that all the animals who have suffered all their lives will finally be retired.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

This is good news for so many animals. There is no doubt that those of us who have protested and petitioned against the circus  have had a part in this. Maybe some day no animal anywhere will be used and abused for entertainment of humans.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I remember there have been a few petitions and serious complaints about Ringling Bros. So I am convinced the weight of public opinion has had a marked effect on their closing. I also think this will have an effect on other animal entertainments.

It does show that we all have a voice, and when we speak out together, we create great changes.

I couldn't get the video to load. That is nothing new for me. But I did read about this.

Because I couldn't see the vdeo or load that page properly, I was unable to tell....are the remaining animals safe? Will they be taken to sanctuaries? Do you know Catherine?
The people who run the business said last year they're keeping the elephants on their property to continue breeding and kind of use them as lab rats for cancer research. They're still chained of a night time, males are still penned and kept separate. They do care for them, but I was getting the sense it's only because of their monetary value.

Don't know what's happening to the other animals.
It is not clear what will happen to the animals. This article gives more information about what kinds of animals there are and what condition they are in.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...Zmzt0fWcbg

You are right about the elephants being sent to the Centre For Elephant Conservation, the circuses breeding facility.
This is their web site.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...2pKoe6-vVg

I don't have a problem with the elephants giving blood samples. I am sure that can be done with out too much stress for the animals. I just wonder what kind of treatment the elephants will receive. After all the facility is run by the people who used the elephants in the circus in the first place.

I don't know what will happen to the other animals, but there are animal rights groups monitoring things. I hope they will have some influence over the fate of the animals. With the public watching they can't just euthanize the animals to save money.
Catherine

As long as they don't end up at black jaguar white tiger
(01-17-2017, 05:35 PM)platy Wrote: As long as they don't end up at black jaguar white tiger

I had to Google that one - and came up with this:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...g-zoo.html
I had never heard of black jaguar white tiger either. As far as I can see, the man has acquired big cats from circuses etc. and now has them in a giant roadside/petting zoo. 

I don't see anything about the place that looks like a sanctuary.

It will be sad if the circus animals end up in places like that. They deserve so much more.
Catherine

He's a seriously disturbing individual. The people who support him are no better. Going there to 'learn about white tigers'? Ffs they're exactly the same as regular tigers only they're bred to have a genetic mutation to obtain a white coat.
Sorry for the rant
People don't want to actually learn about the animal. They just want a chance to see it up close.

People support the man because they hope that they can get to see the big cats. They understand rescuing a big cat as something like rescuing a cat. The cat is a type of pet and is handled. Why can't we do that with big cats.
They don't respect what the big cats are and should have a chance to be.

He is an accident waiting to happen. He will get killed when he underestimates the power and wild nature of a big cat.

White Tigers are pretty, but so are the regular orange and black ones. We place too much store in simple genetic mutations.
Catherine