Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet owners injuring pets to get pain killers
There is a new phenomena in the world of drug abuse. People are injuring their dogs and taking them to the vet so they can get a drug called Tramadol. It is cheaper than other opioids  and veterinary medications are not as tightly controlled.
People are shopping around with the same dog to different vets on the same day or making excuses about why they need more medication.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

This is part of the serious drug problem that is growing in many countries. It is alarming in a special way because it involved deliberately hurting a pet to get drugs. How far will people go? I know  people are addicted  and they are desperate, but it takes a cold hearted person to deliberately hurt their pet.

Veterinary medications will need to be regulated in future. I wonder if the drugs are addicting to dogs. That would be a whole different level of problem.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am shocked and sad to hear about this. It is cruel, heartless, and how anyone could treat their dog or other animal like that for their own selfish needs is beyond me -even if lack of narcotics makes them feel ill. Where is their love?

The very very sad thing is that those dogs will still be injured, still feel pain....and their caretaker is taking their medicine. Something has to be quite bad for a vet to prescribe Tramadol.

I once did a television interview about my view on the drugs (narcotics) problem. and how to cut down street crime and other drug related crimes -of which there are many. My idea was that if someone signed up for a detox/rehab program, during their waiting-time, the doctor would prescribe the narcotics they needed in the exact doses required for each person. Those drugs are not so expensive actually.

Methodone is not as good as it's cracked up to be, and leaves the addict still craving -thus crimes are committed. An addict on methodone is like a cigarette addict who is only allowed 5 cigarettes a day (if you see my point.)

The TV news people liked the idea enough to do a feature. Unfortunately it didn't result in changes. Drug addiction is still not addressed properly in my opinion.

Yes the veterinary medicines should be 'regulated'. But vets are at a loss I suppose. Usually Tramadol will be a certain amount of pills for a certain amount of days (Misty had it after a half mammary-strip) If someone goes back to the vet and says their dog is still in pain, the only thing to do is to fully examine the dog first. A dog displays clear signs of pain usually. Then I suppose the next thing would obviously be to prescribe another few days' of Tramadol.

Usually those drugs are not addictive if taken for short term acute pain. Even two lots of it wouldn't cause addiction if taken for pain. But a good vet should monitor the dog, step down the dose, prescribe another painkiller as soon as they see improvement.

What is going on -that scam -has to be stopped! Those poor animals.
You are right to focus on the fact that the addict's dog is still in pain because the addict has taken their meds. This is just one more horrible result of this problem. Maybe they will have to come up with an injectable slow release form. Once the dog is injected the medication will release slowly into their system. No addict can get at that medication.

Quote:I once did a television interview about my view on the drugs (narcotics) problem. and how to cut down street crime and other drug related crimes -of which there are many. My idea was that if someone signed up for a detox/rehab program, during their waiting-time, the doctor would prescribe the narcotics they needed in the exact doses required for each person. Those drugs are not so expensive actually.

This is good thinking. It would help people move into rehab. Often they just can't wait that long and end up in trouble.

Quote:Methodone is not as good as it's cracked up to be, and leaves the addict still craving -thus crimes are committed. An addict on methodone is like a cigarette addict who is only allowed 5 cigarettes a day (if you see my point.)

Good analogy! People who quit smoking usually do better by quitting and not cutting back. Getting someone ready for rehab and helping them through it would be more effective in the long run.

Some of the newer drugs like oxycodone and fentanyl are much more addictive. Doctors are prescribing them for all kinds of things and people are ending up as addicts.
I am not sure the veterinary drug is even close to what the addict wants, but it is sometimes the easiest to get.

Vets are going to have to be skilled in detecting drug abuse in the owners of their patients. I think it helps that vets are talking online about it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine