Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controversy around the movie A Dog's Purpose
(01-20-2017, 04:37 PM)Catherine Wrote: This may be a matter of a trainer who acted badly.
It would be sad if a wonderful movie was lost in a controversy because of the actions of one person on the set.
Yes, I quite agree - although not just the trainer is at fault, but also the person calling out, "Just throw him in!". Who was that person?

I knew about this film coming out soon and was looking forward to it. Our DAHS Facebook page even "liked" it some while ago.

This latest piece of news is disturbing and the incident should never have been allowed to take place. However, personally I think PETA is over-reacting in calling for a complete boycott. I can see how others might disagree, but I don't want to see a film which is so positive about the close relationships between humans and dogs to be ignored.

Most of the actors, the director, etc. seem shocked themselves and are clearly animal lovers. So the correct course would be for those directly involved in plunging the dog into a pool of rapidly flowing water to be investigated - as is going to happen.

It seems that the video shown has been edited into two parts: the first, where the dog refused to go in (who can blame him?!) and after some pushing the trainer gave up; and the second, where the dog is already in the water and collides with the end of the pool, goes under and has to be saved by actors. These incidents were, apparently, on different days. So the dog may have willingly gone in on the second occasion, only to hit the end of the pool because of the strong current. Clearly this was a risky manoevre, even if the dog did go in willingly the last time. So the argument of the producers that animal welfare was paramount is "thin" at best.

Despite the controversy, I do not intend to withdraw the "like" of the film. I look foward to watching it. Its message is important. Others may take a different stance, but that is their privilege.

The issue of the dog's welfare is, nevertheless, an important issue. Judging by the edited video clip, it would seem that on the first occasion the trainer was reluctant to force the dog in the water. But he was egged on by someone calling out, "Just push him in!" Who was that person? It must be possible for others on the set to identify the voice. He needs to be identified urgently.

Further, who was the person filming the crew? The video was taken from behind the "real" cameras. Why did that person film the incident and do nothing....for over a year? Why has s/he released the video now, just before the film comes out? Is there some ulterior motive in this timing? If s/he was genunely concerned about the incident, why was it not raised at the time? Why did s/he not protest immediately?

There are a lot of questions. Let us hope that the investigation finds out the answers and that those responsible are dealt with appropriately.

But I am still looking forward to watching the film.....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Controversy around the movie A Dog's Purpose - by LPC - 01-20-2017, 08:03 PM