Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building an enclosure
I found this on pintrest and I think it's pretty doable.

I have 3 leopard geckos and 2 ball pythons.  And potentially 2 more ball pythons so we need a condo type enclosure.  My biggest concern would be security.  something like this would be good for my geckos but the snakes need a bit more security.

http://repticzone.com/forums/BeardedDrag...12639.html

Do any of you have any suggestions or have you built your own enclosure?
The snake in the video is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa! They are one of the most beautiful snakes and his is a nice one. Heart

I have corn snakes so they need extremely secure tanks.

If you are going to build an enclosure you need to think about keeping the snakes warm. Ball pythons need heat. They can escape, but nothing like a corn snake. Corn snakes can slip through a tiny hole.

Ball pythons like floor space. They climb a little, but not like a BRB.

Do you want to build something or would you be able to find old tanks. You can silicone tanks together to create a bigger space. You could build a lid. It would need to be well done, but with the right tools you could do it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I want an enclosure I can get into. The one he has now I can't get into cause it's too tall. So I can't reach the bottom of the tank which is where he stays. So I want something that opens from the front.

These are along the lines of what I'm thinking.
https://www.pinterest.com/hzlibby/reptile-enclosures/

Heating would of course be a major factor. I want him to have the same if not bigger enclosure. I also want it to have space for 4 separate enclosures. And I want to have another separate one for the geckos. A friend of mine has offered to help which is nice. I'm searching craiglist and other sites for used furniture that are on the cheaper side. Might have to wait until yard sale season.
Those are all very nice!
You can make very good enclosures out of old wooden dressers. An old china cabinet might work. It would already have glass. You would just have to put in ventilation.  Those huge old televisions, the kind built into a big piece of furniture, can be emptied out and turned into an reptile enclosure. Front opening is much easier. At least for ball pythons it is.

You can keep ball pythons warm with heating pads. I use lighting, but my place is fairly warm at night. They get a bit of a temperature drop, but not much.

Let me know how your plans go. I will be curious about the whole process.
Catherine

We have a tons of yard sale items ourselves so it's going to have to wait until after we empty the house some. I've looked around the house and there is at least 1 cabinet we might get to use for the geckos but still on the lookout for a ball python cabinet. We are getting wedding plans finalized over the next month so its a bit hectic. I will post pictures of the process once we get to it.
In the warm weather you may be able to take the project outside and work on it. I know you will find the right "piece of junk" to turn into the perfect enclosure.

How are wedding plans going?
I have forgotten the date. How soon do you get married?
Catherine

I'm excited for the yard sales to start up. We have tons to sell and we've talked about needing to go around to yard sales for other furniture we can use around the house. We need to replace some of the outside furniture and other things.

The wedding is April 15th, 2017. Not much longer now.
Its a Lego/Harry Potter theme and our colors are Malibu blue, Lego yellow, and Lego orange. Just ordered the cake and cupcakes today. The cake is going to be a mini square cake to look like a blue Lego brick. The cupcakes are going to be Lego color icing and we will put Lego bricks on them.
We have the yard/garage sale set for March 18th. Just have to start going through the house and boxing things up.
Bridal/couples shower is March 12th. Wedding registries are set. We keep adding things as we think of them.
His tux measurements are in and I know one of them has gone to get his measurements. Still have to get my bridesmaids to order their dresses.
I have some Legos and Harry Potter things bought for table decoration. I even found some Lego pens for the signature book. I've had my dress but got my shoes a couple days ago.
We have the template for the shower invitations, from Etsy, and some printed out. We have a couple templates for the wedding invitations narrowed down but we haven't finalized it.
Both bachelor and bachelorette parties are set for April 7th. Mine is going to be a stay in and play video games and eat junk food. I have no clue what the guys are doing. We're pretty PG though so I'm not worried lol. And my matron of honor is married to the best man who is planning it so I KNOW he has to get her ok Big Grin
Photographer still needs to be paid but we have talked to them and they know what we want.
I think the only thing we need to contact is the DJ and possibly get a tent in case of rain.
Wow, you have it all planned out. It sounds like a fun wedding. I have never heard of a Lego themed wedding. That is pretty unique. The cake will be really interesting.

It really sounds like you are all going to have fun. Everything you describe so far sounds like a fun party. This is great. Weddings get so formal that no one enjoys them. Video games and junk food will be fun for your girls night. I love it that the best man and matron of honour are married to each other. You are starting off with married friends and they are helping friends get married. I bet it is fun for them too.

So what colours are everyone wearing?

A tent would be fine, but I hope you have nice weather. The wedding is only two months away. Time is just going to race  now.

The big garage sale will get rid of the junk you don't need and you can start with new things that you do need....like special ball python enclosures.

Enjoy it all. It is your special time.
Catherine

(02-11-2017, 01:59 PM)Catherine Wrote: Wow, you have it all planned out. It sounds like a fun wedding. I have never heard of a Lego themed wedding. That is pretty unique. The cake will be really interesting.

It really sounds like you are all going to have fun. Everything you describe so far sounds like a fun party. This is great. Weddings get so formal that no one enjoys them. Video games and junk food will be fun for your girls night. I love it that the best man and matron of honour are married to each other. You are starting off with married friends and they are helping friends get married. I bet it is fun for them too.

So what colours are everyone wearing?

A tent would be fine, but I hope you have nice weather. The wedding is only two months away. Time is just going to race  now.

The big garage sale will get rid of the junk you don't need and you can start with new things that you do need....like special ball python enclosures.

Enjoy it all. It is your special time.

Actually it's kinda funny because 2 of my bridesmaids are married to two his grooms men. 
I've known Morgan since we were 5 in Kindergarten and Heather since 8th grade when we were 13.  Kasey went to high school with us.  He was 2 years ahead.  I was reacquainted with Kasey at Heather (Matron of Honor) and Chris' (Best man) Halloween party back 3 years ago.  It's really only fitting.   Heart

I don't like to take things too seriously Smiley16  because I want to have fun in everything I do.  So I wanted the wedding to be fun and as inexpensive as possible.  So far because we are going small, cheap, and we are flexible, everything is working out.
2 of my bridesmaids ordered their dresses I just have to kidnap Smiley4  the 3rd, Courtney, and drag her to Davids bridal.  She's hard to lure out of the house.  If I could take Fennec I would have a better chance at getting her out of the house but he wouldn't be allowed into the store and the chaos would not be pretty.  Smiley29

I think I'm more excited to get all the house stuff over with so I can focus on looking for the snake enclosure.  I don't want to rush it along exactly.  I just want to run on autopilot until I get to the fun parts lol.
Quote:Actually it's kinda funny because 2 of my bridesmaids are married to two his grooms men. 
I've known Morgan since we were 5 in Kindergarten and Heather since 8th grade when we were 13.  Kasey went to high school with us.  He was 2 years ahead.  I was reacquainted with Kasey at Heather (Matron of Honor) and Chris' (Best man) Halloween party back 3 years ago.  It's really only fitting.   [Image: heart.gif]
This is even better. You are all moving on with your lives at the same pace. You have a group that already does things together and you all like each other. That is going to make your future social life so much better. It is already established.

You are smart to keep it fun and with a reasonable budget. You will enjoy getting married and you won't spend the rest of your life paying for the wedding. I love the theme. It sounds like so much fun. I love the cupcakes idea. There is something fun about cupcakes.

Maybe you could promise the reluctant bridesmaid a  visit from Fennec if she dress shops. I know how she feels. When I needed a dress for a wedding I shopped at a vintage shop run by reptile centre customers. I already knew the girls because I have sold them food for their snakes.
Would the shop allow a visit from Fennec? Is he ready for an outing like that?
Will there be dogs at the wedding? It would be nice in some ways. Your various dogs have been so much a part of your life and will be part of your future together.

The snake enclosure is going to be a lot of fun for you. I can't wait to hear how it works out.
Catherine