Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals found in storage locker
This story does have a happy ending. A woman left a cat and a dog in a storage facility. The dog was in a crate and the cat was tapped up. Fortunately staff at the facility heard noises and checked them out. The cat and dog were rescued in time. It gets cold in Calgary and they could have died.

The person who left them has been charged and the cat and dog have found new homes.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...124&at=dt0

Not only has the person been charged, she received a 22 month sentence. The is the longest penalty for animal cruelty ever given in Alberta.  It is not that long, but at least it is enough to make people think about the seriousness of animal abuse.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What a dreadful thing this woman did. I am glad the cat and dog were discovered.
It's fair she should do almost a 2 year sentence. I only hope that incarceration will bring home to her the heartless, thoughtless cruelty of what she did (?)
Or will she spend those 22 months in a fog of "Poor me. I got locked up."?
I didn't get the feeling she was sorry. How scared those animals must have been and how confused. They wouldn't understand what was happening as they were dying of the cold. The staff at the storage place are great. They saved those animals lives.

I don't know how you can reach someone who did something so cruel. The jail sentence might make others think before they do something cruel to an animal.
Catherine

Dear Catherine, I think that you may have misread the article. The 22 month sentence was given a while ago to Nicolino Camardi for taping the mouths of a cat and a dog (remember that awful case?). That young man has, incidentally, been rearrested recently; see http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/01/28/ani...me-pet-ban

The article you cite is written in a confusing way by the journalist, as it is mostly about Samantha Zychowski, but then goes off into previous history about Nicolino Camardi towards the end. So I can see where the confusion arose. I read the article several times to make sure.

The woman in the case cited in your first post is apparently awaiting sentence.
Thank-you for catching my mistake. It does jump from the one case to the other and I didn't notice. Nicolino Camardi was sentenced to 22 months some time ago for killing a cat and a dog after abusing them for months.

The article is a bit confusing, but I should have realised that the way our law works, she couldn't have been sentenced already.
We have delays built into the system so that nothing happens immediately. Judges have time to consider cases.

I doubt she will get 22 months. Nicolino Camardi  caused the deaths of the animals and all he got was 22 months.

He certainly didn't serve 22 months if he is out already. Who knows what he would have done to the animals he had in his possession if they hadn't caught him.

I hope they take Samantha Zychowski seriously as an animal abuser. She did tape the cat up and both animals were at risk of death.
Catherine