Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exported EU animals abused
The issue of the live export of animals from the European Union is very serious. Animals are being sent from countries that have animal protection laws to countries that do not have animal protection laws. There is no way things are going to end well for the animals.
They are shipped in appalling conditions because the country that unloads them doesn't care. After that it gets worse and ends with totally inhumane slaughter.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

If a country is willing to send animals to suffer like that after they leave the country, then that country's animal protection laws are meaningless. To say you care about animal welfare and then pretend you don't know what happens to the animals you send is hypocrisy.

The EU is not the only ones to send animals to suffer like that. I am glad that groups like Animals international are able to expose this situation. Now we will find out how civilized and committed to animal welfare these countries are. Or are they committed to the economic benefits of hypocrisy?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(03-03-2017, 03:46 PM)Catherine Wrote: Or are they committed to the economic benefits of hypocrisy?
I think you have it in a nutshell Catherine.

But thankfully the hypocrisy is being exposed. I hope things cannot continue this way. It's chilling.
Different animal activists have been exposing the fate of exported animals. Countries will have to react or be exposed to the world as hypocrites.

We know it is about making money and turning a blind eye to abuse because there is so much money to be made from live experts.
If the public pressure becomes strong enough it might not be worth the money to be exposed as hypocrites. We need to post the truth whenever we can and sign any petitions that we hear of. Anything we can do to put pressure on the exporters is part of stopping this. It is going to take everyone who cares to change this, but I think it will be changed.

It may take longer to change the countries that abuse animals, but until then we don't have to send animals into that abuse.
The people who do this need to know that we don't accept this and want it stopped.
Catherine

I seem to remember that we had a thread about this issue some while ago (maybe a year or two ago?). I think it is a case of double standards by the EU: "butchering" of animals (in the worse sense of the word - meaning cutting up fully conscious animals in the most appalling conditions of cruelty, with no animal welfare protections AT ALL) is banned by the EU in its own borders, but there are no restrictions put on what happens to similar EU animals exported abroad.
We have had threads about this and related subjects going back to the old forum. I think I remember posting about horses being shipped to slaughter within the EU. This would predate the current regulations and the shipping conditions were bad. I don't remember all the details.

We know there are countries out there that are brutal. When they kill an animal, it is butchering it. The EU knows what these countries are like. They choose to pretend they don't know so they can make money from live export. The animals could be humanely killed(does this ever happen) and shipped as meat, but the countries receiving them want to kill the animals themselves. They want to keep up the brutal practices. They have made it a part of their culture.

The EU needs to live up to its own standards and we need to pressure certain countries to give up their brutal practices.
Long standing tradition is not an excuse for animal cruelty or any other barbaric practice(like one done to young female children).
The world has moved into a new century. It is time we all moved forward. My grandmother didn't continue to use her outhouse once she got indoor plumbing. Change is good and progress is good.
Catherine