Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“The Adventures of Dr. Buckeye Bottoms.”
They have made a TV series about a traveling vet in Kauai(Hawaii). He sounds like a very interesting and caring person.
He certainly cares about the animals under his care.  It sounds like a show well worth watching. We just have to figure out where to watch it. Probably it will be available on the national Geographic web site.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

What a life he has. He works with animals all day and he lives in a tropical paradise.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I would very much like to watch this. Is it possible to watch National Geographic shows without subscription I wonder...? I have found a few on You Tube now and again, but it's hard to find current films/shows there any more.
I'll take a look later and post a link if I can find one.
Not all, but three episodes can be seen here (you need to scroll down a bit on the page):
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wi...ort=recent
I can follow the link, but I can't open the shows. It might be a local thing.

So far on YouTube I can only find small bits of each show. I am sure they are out there, I just have to keep looking.

You Tube can be so distracting. If I don't get caught up in watching funny cat videos, I end up watching some hilarious political commentary.

So far no luck. I will try again tomorrow. From the little clips I watched, he is a good and caring vet and very funny.
Catherine

Ah yes, there is a problem. The first video link produced a 404 error. The second required me to divulge which USA internet provider I have in order to watch it - which of course I don't have, living in France. It is a pity that they have chosen to restrict these full videos to USA viewers only. Sorry, Catherine....
I had a feeling it would be that situation. "The video can't be shown in your country". What a shame. I can usually only watch Nat. Geo. programmes on You Tube, but of course, those are only the old ones. And many videos that used to be watchable there in 2013-2014 have either been pulled off, or distorted in some way to make them hard to watch.

The one thing I can't quite 'get' is why weren't copyright issues on You Tube a problem a couple of years ago? Why only now?
Quote:The one thing I can't quite 'get' is why weren't copyright issues on You Tube a problem a couple of years ago? Why only now?
I think there is a bit of a push to control the internet and restrict  who can see what.
It might give us a bit of trouble now, but someone will get around it and we will be able to see these things again.

What is a 404 error? I have seen that, but I don't understand it.

One You Tube I can get short clips of episodes. It is still fun to watch them. 
They don't want us watching for free. We might not pay for things if we can get them for free. Some countries are trying to restrict the internet and certain things to their own country. I get less Netflix for my subscription than someone in the USA.
I might care if I had time to watch all the stuff I do get.
It just seems odd that they would restrict this show. It wouldn't get too big an audience so why bother.
Catherine

Catherine
What is a 404 error? I have seen that, but I don't understand it.

Some countries are trying to restrict the internet and certain things to their own country. I get less Netflix for my subscription than someone in the USA.

Catherine, a 404 means that a requested web page does not exist, or (as in this case) no longer exists.

The USA, so-called "land of the free", actually restricts the net quite a lot, although more often for commercial (profit) reasons than political or ideological ones.
What I honestly can't understand is, wherever a documentary or film is shown (even on You Tube) money can be made from advertising.
People often think adverts are a nuisance. But that can enable a service to run for free. That is the method Classic FM (radio station in UK) uses. People who like that station completely understand and bear with the tedious adverts. They get a good station, and know that they do, and can put two and two together.

With You Tube videos, all that is needed is a short announcement or text before a film is shown saying "please don't skip ads, because that revenue is what keeps us running." I would certainly understand, and judging from some comments I have read on You Tube, others would too.

As for 'copyright' claims, I can understand that many are likely to be genuine. But sometimes the so-called 'copyright claimant' has nothing to do with the video, TV company, production company, script writer, musician, or anything else! And can be some random person from the Ukraine or somewhere, with a YouTube account! THAT I can NOT understand. What it is all about I can't say.

Sorry....just had to have a 'grizzle'. My late husband always used to say, "If there was nothing to grizzle about at all, you would find something!" Then we both had a good laugh about that. Smiley4
Now I understand 404 error. It is not something we want to see when we are looking for something.

Quote:The USA, so-called "land of the free", actually restricts the net quite a lot, although more often for commercial (profit) reasons than political or ideological ones.
They can try to restrict the internet, but people will always find a backdoor to what they want. It is just silly which things get restricted. Would it be so bad if people around the world watched videos of a vet in Hawaii.

Sometimes you just have to grizzle about things. Grizzle is an amazing word. I don't think I know it. It certainly describes what it means be its sound.

I watch the ads so I can complain if I don't like them.
Catherine