Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A kind of telepathy....with a Crow
A Crow has a crush on me. Well....this Crow is a loner. I am not certain if he's a Crow or a Jackdaw. Yes I should know....but he doesn't care about labels. He has no name. I usually call him "Hello Bird".
I am not sure if he's a she -or what? He telepaths me that transgender is fine. That it's really irrelevant. Soul is what matters.

I never see him with others of his own kind. He calls to me to wake me up too early in the morning. He has found out where I sleep now. But I go back to sleep. He is learning that I don't get up with the sparrows, and he has to wait until about nine o' clock.
Then he's outside when I get my coffee and walk in the garden.
We talk to each other in a kind of 'numbers language'. Clicking of beak, ritual bending of head while clicking,  plus me trying to do the same thing; he mirroring whatever number I decide to do, and vice-versa. But it is always mathematically correct!

So then I give him a small piece of wholemeal bread as a treat, He comes down, takes it, eats it then comes back to follow me around a bit.
Yesterday I told him "Bread isn't good for you. It's okay now and then, but not often. I am going to the pet shop to find a more species-suitable treat for you in the morning."

I remembered the pet shop is closed Wednesdays, so my promise didn't materialise. I thought I'd do it tomorrow instead.

So this afternoon I took a walk in the orchard (had no idea where he was.) In a moment the Crow came swooping round me, and landed in a branch, greeting me with his usual numbers-language. I replied.

Then he came down to earth, no more than 10ft away and started foraging for food; catching a snail and de-shelling it skilfully. He seemed to be showing me he was quite capable of hunting for his food, he wasn't stupid. He almost seemed to be 'showing off' a bit. But I sensed he was trying to tell me he didn't actually need any food from me. His relationship with me is based on something else. Though he is happy and grateful for the tiny wholemeal bread treat. It does him no harm, he said.....

I laughed in a happy way, and whistled "Amazing Grace" again for his entertainment. He asked me to keep the volume down -just a tiny bit -as he was listening for worms.

But -strange though it may sound....I swear that Crow heard what I said to him about the pet shop and everything....and the bread treat. Or was it God....who relayed the message?
Crows are pretty clever and they really pay attention to people. I think he has a bond with you and has learned to listen to you.
He must have some respect for you. He wants to wake you early, but he has adjusted his plans to fit your waking times.

Maybe he likes people more than birds and he likes you more than other people. He wants to have breakfast with you each morning. He showed you he can find food so you wouldn't worry about him. He doesn't need you to feed him, but he likes it when you share with him. It makes him feel close. After all, we eat with our friends.

Clearly you can communicate. Maybe this is one of those special interspecies friendships we hear about.
You are lucky to have a bird friend that cares about you like that. Would he like some fruit as a treat. There can't be too much fruit around for him in the winter.

This is really special. I hope your friendship can continue and grow. A bird can be great company.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

How interesting, Tobi! You may well get to communicate with him frequently - and practice makes perfect, as they say....

Small treats of bread won't do him any harm - and he told that already, anyway, LOL!
Well, now I have discovered how widely omnivorous Crows are (Thank you LPC for the link) I think the wholemeal seed bread is fine in moderation -just as he told me! haha

http://www.crows.net/food.html

And there are so many other nutritious options. Cat or dog kibble being a cheap option.
I have seen crows eat almost anything. They seem to thrive on whatever they can get. The link you posted is interesting. It confirms that crows can eat anything. It would be great to set out a feeder for crows if there were a number of birds around. I would love to watch that.

You seem to have one bird and he has chosen to be friends with you. What a wonderful opportunity to form an interspecies link. Who knows how much you will learn to communicate. Maybe he has interesting things to teach you. It could be an interesting summer. He might hang around more when you are outside more.

Probably your bird likes the wholemeal seed bread. It sounds very tasty.
You could get a bag of kibble to give him extra treats. Kibble has lots of good stuff in it and it is not too expensive.
Catherine

I gave him a slice of apple today and he took that away and ate it.
Then he followed me along the lane, waiting for me as usual -one hour while I was at Sally's! He greeted me on the way back. We went our separate ways (or appeared to) while I was pre-occupied doing other things. But he was back about 5.30 and we had a 'conversation'.
I never see him with any others of his own kind. I think he is an unusual bird.
He is not interested in other crows. He wants to be friends with you.
He certainly understands your schedule. How sweet that he waited for you while you were with Sally Cat.

Maybe he will go with you on walks and keep you company. You have an interesting friendship happening.
I think all crows are unusual. They are very clever and they relate well to humans.  Does he talk to you?
Catherine

Tobi, maybe you have already seen this, but in case you haven't:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...r-old.html

He may regard you like an adopted parent, but I suspect more like a close new friend! You need to ask him....
(03-14-2017, 05:41 PM)Catherine Wrote: He is not interested in other crows. He wants to be friends with you.
He certainly understands your schedule. How sweet that he waited for you while you were with Sally Cat.

Maybe he will go with you on walks and keep you company. You have an interesting friendship happening.
I think all crows are unusual. They are very clever and they relate well to humans.  Does he talk to you?

He waits for me coming back most days unless the weather is really foul. He didn't do that when we had a severe storm a couple of weeks ago. I think he was 'lying low' as it was too dangerous to fly.

But I know he won't go with me for walks. He wants to stay in his perimeter, which is probably about 500 yards or so all round the house. He likes the orchard, and the back field. And there are decent sized trees about so he likes to be in the branches when he's not feeding.

Yes he talks to me. Mostly it's with a clicking sound he makes with his beak. I copy it and he replies. It's numerical. He does 4 times, I do 4 times....then he will do 2 and I answer with 2. Sometimes if I start the conversation, he copies my numbers exactly. Sometimes he likes to try and catch me out by doing 2 and a half. But I am on it!
He never goes beyond 6. It might be hard work on his beak so I wouldn't want him to do....25 or so!

Sometimes he caws and I am trying to learn to do that nicely. He showed me three different voices he has.
(03-14-2017, 06:19 PM)LPC Wrote: Tobi, maybe you have already seen this, but in case you haven't:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...r-old.html

He may regard you like an adopted parent, but I suspect more like a close new friend! You need to ask him....

No I hadn't already seen that article LPC, Thank you because it gives us a good idea about how clever crows are.
That stick-length trick I have to admit, would probably take me longer than two and a half minutes to work out!
And I think those scientific tests are probably just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what crows know and can do!